Window protection for my Cat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If this thread could be put in an area more suitable, please feel free to move it mods. Thanks.
Ok. So I have a cat. She's 10 months old. We live in a 4th floor apartment and she is starting to get very interested in the windows. My bedroom window has an insect shield. It works great for the insects but if the cat wanted to she could probably get through it handy enough. For now, it seems to be enough that she sees it and she doesn't try too hard to get to that window. However, there are other windows that are more easily accessible, and even if they had the insect shield, which they don't, I think she will still try to get out. With summer coming, windows are going to be open, especially at night, I'm concerned about this and want to know if anyone has ny solutions? Is there something I can buy and have built to fit my windows? Any links to where I can buy these things? Amazon, ebay etc? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that suggestion. That might be useful. Certainly on some of the windows. We have slide windows in the kitchen though, so I'm still looking for more ideas. I've seen people using chicken wire, and I'm not sure if that would work well.

A determined cat will get through the flimsy guards sold on flea bay, and will even dislodge a restrictor. They will also find a way to get out of the front door.

Some cats are content to be house cats, if yours isn't ask yourself if it would be happier somewhere with accessible open space.

Blup

Need some pics of the type of windows you have, a cat could potentially get through any gap it's head can fit through. Whilst not very helpful, bear in mind that cats have a very good chance of surviving falls from a high rise building but ironically are more likely to survive the higher the fall.

In the falling out of flat windows department, cats most definitely rule.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate the reply. This cat is happy enough indoors. It is a therapy cat as well. It is a ragdoll and they are quite unique in the cat world. She is interested in open windows and doors yes, as most cats are curious. However, any time we take her outside, she doesn't enjoy it and yet her curiosity remains. :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-15 at 17.56.07.jpeg

That first one opens into the house as you can see. The next one is a slide window coming up next

A cat safety net would work but would need to be fitted to the outside of the window or jambs, not easy 4 storey's high to say the least!

I think if I was approaching this it could be done fairly simply by creating a 4 sided frame formed with say 10×10 aluminium angle, riveted at the corners and painted to match the window, looking at the way the windows open I think you could fix it in place from inside the property, your cat net attached to the frame, it would only need say 2 fixings in the top and bottom members into the cill and head.

On that slide window I think what you're saying will work well. I would like to get something that is aesthetically pleasing though, maybe a finer pattern this disappears to the eye, as the building is quite nice and my wife is an interior designer. I'll leave that part up to her, :LOL: but thanks everyone for the suggestions.

It is a ragdoll
For those unaware, sme members of this breed do seem to have a particularly acute lack of sense of danger

My dad's one likes to roll over in the middle of the road, apparently keen to get passing cars to tickle her tummy

Not a fan of keeping cats indoors, but for ragdolls I do consider it a sensible endeavour to extend their life

Last edited:
Your cills outside look quite big so I wouldn't worry too much, he'll only want to sit outside in the breeze

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back