Window sill heights for toughened glass new build?

You have mentioned ‘an architect’ a couple of times now and the questions you are asking are those an architect should know. What are you actually trying to find out or achieve?

Btw, you are aware the sizes the architect has mentioned are basically ‘structural‘ opening sizes including the frames so therefore not the size of your actual glazed area?

Having a read of the BR’s in particular ADB and ADK will answer most of your questions.

A number of reasons, firstly an architect who i used a few years ago who was very popular made a big balls up on my plan resulting in a garage door opening needing reduced in size as the only last minute option for the builder i worked with. Doesn't fill me with confidence, so the more i understand the better. I've designed 85% of the floor plan & design to scale and handed it over for a professional plan to present which didn't require too much alteration. Some of the minor alterations were for me to decide on, but theres been couple of minor mistakes i've noticed so far. Yes leave it up to the experts, but there's been also been quite a few silly suggestions I've had to oppose against & if I had zero experience I'd of just agreed. They are always too busy to get hold of, so researching as many novice questions in the mean time makes things easier when meeting to finalise things.

For the windows, I just needed to know where the two measurements started from to avoid having windows too low which would incur more cost from needing toughened glass. From the comments I now understand it's the glazing level for the type of glass, the lowest part of the sash opening for the B regs, and the window brick opening plus frame & sash sizes added on gets you to these finish heights. Architect wasn't too keen to have higher 1050 brick openings at first but released the UFH screed it would raise internal floor, any lower would cause issues with a 930mm work top. (850 appliance, 20 mm gap, 40 worktop, 20 for tiles up to the legs).

I will check ADB & ADK thanks, there's a lot of content. Everything's now answered.

Sponsored Links
There's sometimes a bit of flexibility here, so if you want to push things around a brick course or two, then it's worth having a chat with your AI/BCO.

There's sometimes a bit of flexibility here, so if you want to push things around a brick course or two, then it's worth having a chat with your AI/BCO.
In order to comply there is absolutely no reason why toughened or laminated glass cannot be used in any of the critical locations, I certainly can't think of any circumstances where I could personally justify any flexibility. I will add this is my personal opinion, other BCO's may take a different, but highly unlikely, point of view.

which would incur more cost from needing toughened glass

There's hardly any difference in price, maybe £30 per sq metre for double glazing.

That shouldnt really be a consideration.

When in doubt, I always specified toughened glass, especially when the builder is a bit vague on finished floor heights or which brick course.

Sponsored Links
I've been using Laminated units on some of my replacements, where I think it might usefully inconvenience a burglar.

to avoid having windows too low which would incur more cost from needing toughened glass

FFS, just get toughened glass! A 500x500 DGU will increase from ~£22-25 to perhaps £30-£32 it's not worth worrying about. If anyone is trying to charge £££ for toughened get a different supplier.

I will add this is my personal opinion, other BCO's may take a different

Shame you can’t have it included as a signature on every post. Instead of always making reference to you being a BCO along with what you would personally accept/approve, why not respond with...

“This should/should not be acceptable to your BCO”

:confused:

FFS, just get toughened glass! A 500x500 DGU will increase from ~£22-25 to perhaps £30-£32 it's not worth worrying about. If anyone is trying to charge £££ for toughened get a different supplier.

Did realise the price difference was so small. If it added an extra £30 per m2 then it would be around £700 extra in total. Even with large windows it's going to come in above the minimum height for toughened glass now. Is there a big difference between toughened and laminated prices? Can you still have factory tints on to laminated glass?

Laminated glass is more expensive and also came up very heavy. My fitter usually carries them on his own, but needed an assistant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back