Ceiling heights in new builds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of novice questions related to the standard ceiling height in a new new build so brick courses line up for joists, plasterboards and window sill heights.

1. Are ceiling heights 2400mm or 2475mm to allow for 22mm Weyrock floor, 12mm boarded ceiling and a gap between the bottom of the plasterboard and the finished floor height?

2. If its 2400mm, does this mean each 2400mm plaster board needs cut down to allow room for the floor board & ceiling board?

3. Are ceilings boarded before walls, or walls then ceilings?

Sponsored Links
Probably 11 blocks (225 x 11 = 2475)

Ceilings are usually boarded first.

I would've thought structural ceiling height would be determined by joist hanger and joist size - I think most new builds have joists on masonry hangers rather than sitting on a block course.

Sponsored Links
2. Probably, doubt the structure would ever end up within the tolerance of an exact board length. But if it was done before floor screeded probably wouldn’t need to be cut

Probably 11 blocks (225 x 11 = 2475)

Ceilings are usually boarded first.

So a 253mm joist on a masonry hanger, assuming the joist hanger being the same depth as the actual joist, would fit into the nearest course of bricks?

Ie: 12 blocks (225 x 12 = 2700mm) - 253mm joist = 2447mm ceiling height which seems good.

2. Probably, doubt the structure would ever end up within the tolerance of an exact board length. But if it was done before floor screeded probably wouldn’t need to be cut

How thick is a floor screed, Are slab floors screeded?
Chances are it will be beam and block then wet UFH on 150mm insulation if regs are 100/150. 70mm UFH screeds seem common.

What are all these random questions for?

How thick is a floor screed? How high is a ceiling? WTF?

What are all these random questions for?

How thick is a floor screed? How high is a ceiling? WTF?
Firstly it's a forum, forums are for helping people out and providing constructive answers to peoples questions, if you find these questions annoying you should move on. Too many people on forums like you expect people to know everything and like to criticise or just argue with people. If they knew the answers then they wouldn't be on here. Clever ass.

There's been lot of very helpful people who have answered so thanks to them all.

I want to know these things for my own information so i can understand & make suggestions towards the way i want things built.
I have a CAD design and there's been a few missed things and minor errors therefore i'd like to understand it all to offset things where necessary.

Just be aware that it’s not an exact science, so I wouldn’t try and make really precise assumptions

Just be aware that it’s not an exact science, so I wouldn’t try and make really precise assumptions
Thanks, I was just trying to figure out, because regulations change so often, how much tolerance there was on a room height. I know in the past most builds were to suit 8ft ceilings unless it was an older style house. So was checking if you can have a bit of play on the 2.4m headroom which has now been answered and I have a better understanding.

Thanks everyone.

Regulations concerning room heights went out the window on november 11th 1986 when the new format Building Regs 85 replaced the 76 Regs, along with things like zones of open space, good F***ing riddance as well, pain in the arse they were!!!!
The requirement was for 2.3m headroom but only to habitable rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back