Garage Ceiling

pvr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the garage, I want to sort out the ceiling which is proving a bit difficult.

The joists are not all the same height (measured from the floor) and I have boarded the ceiling using plasterboard. However, due to the joists not being quite the same, the ceiling has a few bulges in those locations and also, the joists were sometimes a little to far apart which made the joints between the board a bit (too) flexible.

I wanted to get the ceiling plastered, but the plasterer did not want to do it because of the flexing of the ceiling as well as the bulges.

What would be the best option? Is there such a material that can be put on the ceiling that is thick and flexible which would not crack on the joists?

Failing that - would the only option be to batten underneath the boards again and put another layer of plasterboard up?

Appreciate your responses

Sponsored Links
Take the old pb down if you can get the screws out you might be able to reuse it, if it's nailed then rip it out, cheap enough to replace anyway.
Batten underneath, levelling/packing out as you go.

Anything above the garage or is it single storey only? Did you put any insulation up there first?

Yes, on top of the joists I put a MDF board (water resistent) floor. Underneath it (i.e. between the joists) I put 10 cm of that white insulation material that you can cut to size.

Just never considered to check that the bottom of the joists were not equal size as the top (where the MDF boards are laying) was perfectly flat.

I used screws to put the boards up, so can indeed take them off again. Think you are right - just wanted to avoid it.

THanks for confirming my worst fears :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back