min ceiling height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting a brick and block ex workshop on the back of my garage into a bedroom, it has a flat roof (which is insulated), building inspector has told me i need 4 inchs of flooring to raise it above garage fin floor, and insulated plasterboard on the ceiling, only problem is i'm only gonna have 6ft6" (1983mm) from floor to ceiling, does anyone know what the min height for a ceiling is?

Sponsored Links
does anyone know what the min height for a ceiling is?
As silly as it may sound, I believe there is no minimum except on stairwells; my daughter’s brand new property has a beam at only 1800mm in the centre of the bathroom :eek:

2150mm is the commercially accepted minimum headroom but that’s not really relevant! :rolleyes:

Richard C is correct, at least your plasterers will love skimming your ceiling though, did he mention what thickness of insulation he wants under your floor ?

i could be wrong but i thought a 100mm raised threashold was enought so basicly a step on each side!!!

Sponsored Links
my understanding was it had to contain any spill within the garage!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back