Toughened windows below what height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below what height must we have toughened windows on the first and second floor of a house because I have seen and heard different heights depending where I look. Is it below 900mm or 800mm and is that the glass or the wooden ledge?

Sponsored Links
800mm.

Unless you have a wooden ledge which can break into dangerous shards when you throw a brick at it (unlikely!) then it's the glazed area only.

Sorry, I was being smart with my comment.

Think about it though. You are protecting you and your family against shards of razor sharp material (i.e. glass).

As wood/PVCu frames don't fall into the above category you only need to consider the glazed area.

Sponsored Links
Ok. My concern is that some of my existing window openings are at 760mm ie the glass within the UPVC frame starts at 760mm height but the frame is a little lower. If we now replace those windows these will definitely have to be toughened right?

If yes then can only part of that glass be toughened (assuming you can toughen some part of the glass and not the rest?

There is no requirement for toughened glass.

The requirement is that glass within a critical location - in this case within 800mm from a floor or platform, should be in either small panes, be protected from impact, or if it breaks to break safely.

And no, you can't just have part of a pane toughened

There is also a requirement that glazing within close proximity (300mm) to protected areas be made the same.

Last edited:
Ok. My concern is that some of my existing window openings are at 760mm ie the glass within the UPVC frame starts at 760mm height but the frame is a little lower. If we now replace those windows these will definitely have to be toughened right?

If yes then can only part of that glass be toughened (assuming you can toughen some part of the glass and not the rest?
There are other ways to protect the glazed area but toughened glass is usually the simplest solution. Out of interest, if it was possible to toughen only part of a glazed pane - which it isn't - why would you want to do that anyway?

There are other ways to protect the glazed area but toughened glass is usually the simplest solution. Out of interest, if it was possible to toughen only part of a glazed pane - which it isn't - why would you want to do that anyway?

Some glazing firms have indicated that only the inside pane is toughened and the external pane is not.

Also if you have panelled glass with a break in material, I guess it's only the lower sections and not the upper ones which are in their own pane that don't require toughening.

It's both panes of a DG unit, as the requirement relates to any glass pane within the critical zone.

Likewise, yes a glazing bar will break up the zone, so only glass within the critical zone needs to meet the requirement.

So the same would be said about a 4m patio door glass and full ceiling height. Why are they quoting as optional extra for toughened or laminated because surely it's compliments for all patio doors?

Last edited:
A patio door should really be quoted for safety glass as standard, as normal glass is not an option. If you ask for normal glass they can't even sell it to you as they would contravene a consumer supply regulation - the name of which escapes me.

The requirement is for safety glass, which could be toughened or laminated. There might be a cost difference between these two, so yes one or the other would be an option.

Toughened is only a small premium over normal glass, well worth it if there's a risk of injury from breakage

Given that we have small children is it worth considering laminating the large opening from the outside with laminate glass from both a security perspective but also the realistic assumption that kids will kick balls about or hit them with bars and a laminate glass will take Knocks than regular glass?

It depends on your kids. Our doors windows and greenhouse were fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back