Window Sill...

Thanks for all the replies, I'll look out the local stone masons I guess and see what they have to offer.

Originally in place was dot-dab fixed plasterboard covered in tiles, but when I took the tiles off of it, the whole board crumbled, I'm guessing due to both damp and age, (the tiles had been grouted to window frame, and grouted at the front edge with the overlap the wrong way too!)

This is what I have left at the moment:

I've already bought the 12.5mm plasterboard to replace the old stuff with, but then figured that I might look at getting a proper sill instead. I had no idea of cost, so thought I might as well look into it :)
The window is getting changed next week, so unlikely to do anything with it before then anyway.

Dimensions are 175mm from EXISTING window frame to the front face of the plasterboard covered wall below, and 1095mm wide.
As I say it used to have 12.5mm plasterboard, plus tile, plus adhesive so perhaps a total thickness of 20mm. I guess I could go for 30mm IF I needed to, but I'd have to chop down the plaster 'dabs' and also trim down the height of the front plasterboard too.

BS, sorry for my ignorance but what is:
poliched trav
?

Sponsored Links
well you have suggested a stone mason,i have just gave the OP an other option he could look into.

yes, I understand and your method would work fine also but would look exactly how it is made, like someone has plonked a tile onto the window sill, acceptible but a compromise

bathstyle..
its a diy forum..they aint going to spend money...as how its "plonked"...not my style...

same time 2morro.. ;)

have a few pounds on your team 2morro... ;)

Schmill, as you said, get the window in first then see what you are left with, in an ideal world the window frame should be equal on all sides. I would be looking at dot and dabbing a new piece of p/board straight onto the blocks then covering it with whatever you decide, whether it be a tile or a piece of granite, marble or whatever, it can be done last thing after the rest of the room is tiled.

Tictic, gonna be a tough game mate although I thought the same about the Argies.

Schmill.......

Poliched Trav???!

I meant Polished Travertine.

What colour are your wall tiles?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I wasn't sure where to replace the plasterboard, and then put a sill over the top of that, or whether to remove (ie. keep off!) the plasterboard on that section and just fit some kind of sill straight on.

Will have to look up Travertine, the tiles that we have are these (although we didn't get them on as good an offer as this :evil: ):

Top:
70319HBO111111M.jpg

Bottom:
75855HBO111111M.jpg

Border:
87056HBO111111M.jpg

They actually look a bit strange there, but 'in the flesh' they have more of a marbled appearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back