Window to side of house query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm considering converting 2/3rds of my integrated garaged into an office room and I am wondering about the window we would need to put in on the side of the house. It will overlook our neighbours bay window as their house is set back a bit from ours. We share some bushes (acers so not evergreen but very large/thick) between our houses which would mean it's pretty much fully obscured. Our wall to the boundary is 1m 50cm. Is this something I would need to speak to the planning authority about? Any other things I should consider? I'd prefer to put in clear windows over obscured if possible?

Screenshot-2019-12-27-at-11-09-41.png

Cheers,
Rob

Sponsored Links
You do not need planning permission to fit a window in that position (unless any previous permission has withdrawn permitted development rights).
You would need Building Regs approval for the structural alteration (as there will need to be a beam above) and also a check on fire safety depending on how big the window is. It would also need to be double-glazed.

Fire spread over the boundary from unprotected areas
within 1 metre of the boundary
can be a consideration, but at 1.5m from the boundary you should be ok, but if you are submitting a bldg. regs application anyway your designer should consider all aspects of bldg. regs relevant to your proposed scheme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back