Windows 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok microsoft said i was entitled to the new windows 10 free download ....so i clicked yes...still waiting a day later for something to happen, could i be in for a long wait?

Sponsored Links
Blimey, Win 10 must be alright then... Or are peeps not posting because they are into something closer to win 8 than win7 ?

Goowan - do it !

-0-

You can force the Win 10 upgrade if you don't want to wait. Have a search on google, I had to download a small programme but everything went smoothly. After upgrading you can do a clean install so you can get rid of any bloatware that originally came with your machine if you want.

Sponsored Links
"How to Skip the Line and Upgrade to Windows 10 Now"
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-line-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now-1720854489

"...Use the MS media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10..."
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have been reading about a "Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem"... That is, all are installed including drivers by default - No choice... Unless.
http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automatic-updates-install-problem/

-0-

I upgraded my desktop machine this afternoon, Gigabyte Mobo, AND A4-5300, 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM. After final reboot, and logon to Windows 10, the screen kept refreshing about every 10-15 seconds. Even restarting in Safe Mode gave the same fault, so I had no alternative but to roll back to Windows 7. I will now be backing up all my data and doing a clean install on a separate hard disk.

Perhaps a more sensibly integrated machine ? Just sayin'
-0-

Well installed and 95% better than Windows 7 for me. Windows 7 would not work with TV as a monitor and Windows 10 does and whole idea of the PC installed on was to watch and record films so simply Windows 7 didn't work and Windows 10 does.

However one small problem screen not quite aligned bit missing to left and black unused area to right. Had this with monitors and adjusted on the monitor but no option for that on the TV. Is there a way to align with the PC?

I use Microsoft Money which (MS say) will not work with W10

I have an idea it is possible to have dual boot and keep W7 even if I upgrade to W10.

Is that true? How does it work?

I have an idea it is possible to have dual boot and keep W7 even if I upgrade to W10.

Good question. I'd like to know too.
If I decide to go with W10 I'd like to keep W7 as well, and a dual boot system would be the ideal way.

Found hidden menu in TV to adjust screen now running A1. So now windows 10 is 100% better than Windows 7 as it now does what I got the computer to do, watch films on TV with before it totally failed.

As to the other features I am still running Vista on the laptop and XP on other desk top so not really worried. Not sure I like changing names? Why a program is now called an application don't know?

How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8
http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

I would be cautious about disk space, after upgrading from Win8.1 Pro to 10 Pro and using (worked perfectly) MediaCreationToolx64 from M$
MS media creation tool

I had on my C drive the expected overhead of 'Windows.old' folder, being the previous OS, some 20 odd GB. (My data stuff, other than Windows system, is on another drive)
I did not expect the additional overhead of two Win10 installation'ish files, found here :-

C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\support\sources\install.esd (2,756,531 KB)
C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\installx64.esd (2,759,037 KB)
Both, separately, existed... Should this be normal ? I do not know,
I think one of these showed up when utilising - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Disk clean-up - System files.
Nevertheless have deleted ALL the above folders including contents - after a few days - just in case ! No noticeable effects.

-0-

I have just upgraded two machines to Windows with Microsoft Money 2005 UK installed. One was a Windows 7 PC and the other a Windows 8.1. I had a few issues with Money on one of them but mainly because I had a backup folder also called Money on another drive. When Windows 10 had finished installing Money was working but downloads were looking for the import executable files on the D: drive. However a quick uninstall and clean of the registry for wrong drive entries and money is reinstalled and working fine.
Don't forget that Microsoft rolled out an update that had to be installed when they stopped online transactions with Banks. If you need to reinstall you may have to also install the update to open the money file.
Fozzie

M$ says cannot (will not ?) upgrade a Win7 ultimate installation running in a virtual machine, because VMWare (Player) doesn't have an acceptable screen driver.
Umm - Been running Win10 Pro trial in a virtual machine for several months, without problems.
I guess M$ (attempt to) err on the safe side. Maybe I'll try the media installer route - maybe not.
My Office 2007 works as it did under Win7 then Win8 upgrade, then Win8.1 Upgrade - now Win10 Pro Upgrade.

Given a relatively powerful machine, I would fancy Win 7 in a virtual machine running financial stuff.

Sponsored Links
Back