Windows and wall hung tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, I know about the FENSA regs and such, so lets not bring that up ;)

I'm looking to replace a bathroom window that is mounted in a tile hung wall. I'll try and get some more pics in the next few days, but from what I can tell a timber frame (that may or may not need replacing) built to provide an edge to the tiles, then the window is mounted within that.

Lead flashing goes from under the window (visible inside) to outside and over the tiles. There doesn't appear to be any sign of a cill at the bottom.

While the frame is aluminium, there is a lintel (essential as we're going uPVC)

Are there any specific requirements when fitting a window into a tile hung wall? And does anyone know of any good guides for fitting windows in such?

Cheers all,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Contacted a glazing company and they advised I would need uPVC 'cheeks' to replace the timber ones.

Would these go in the hole first, then the window inside them (making them structural), or would they be butted up to the window from the outside (Making them cosmetic). Either way, I reason they exist to stop ingress of water directly behind the tiles.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Anyone with any tips on installing windows in tile hung walls? I honestly can't find a thing on it on google.

:(

Fubar

Sponsored Links
I replaced timber windows in a tile-hung wall and on removing the old ones the cheeks were just infill pieces to weather the edges of the tiles, so purely cosmetic. Have seen some done with mortar fillets but don't like the look of those. On mine the lead flashing was attached to the underside of the cill, just nailed through a batten and folded down. Other than that it was pretty straightforward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back