Windows - automatic lists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That won't be the right name for them. I mean the history lists of entries you get when you click the blank input box somewhere like Google. Handy at first, they're getting too long now.

Question is where are they? Apparently not in cookies. Can I delete these lists and start again?

Sponsored Links
Open up internet explorer and goto tools, internet options.

on the general tab click delete files and tick offline content and click ok

click on content tab and then click the autocomplete button
click on delete forms and clear passwords.

if forms is ticked it will remember what you have filled in

hope this helps.

Do a Google on index.dat files.

Read 'The Riddler' on 'Microsoft's really hidden files'
SUMMARY:
There are folders on your computer that Microsoft has tried hard to keep secret. Within these folders you will find two major things: Microsoft Internet Explorer has not been clearing your browsing history after you have instructed it to do so, and Microsoft's Outlook Express has not been deleting your e-mail correspondence after you've erased them from your Deleted Items bin. (This also includes all incoming and outgoing file attachments.) And believe me, that's not even the half of it.

See here :-
http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

Within Win98se this, pix below, is, I believe the default size of history index.dat, there are other index.dats ..Cookies, Temporary internet files etc... they do grow, if you allow them.
As viewed using 98's 'old file manager' WINFILE.EXE files are not hidden with this oldy.
in-dex-dat-hist.jpg

This may not be totally valid for XP ... But it gives one an idea where stuff is retained.
;)

Stooe - thanks that what I was actually looking for. Looked and looked but didn't see..

empip - now that's going to keep me occupied a LOT longer! cheers!

Sponsored Links
It would be interesting to know if XP actually does remove all contents when asked to do so ... 98se does not.
Can use a 'hex editor' like Hex Workshop to peruse the Index.dat files .... see if empty, I usually search for '/' as in http://www...
;)

deltree /Y c:\windows\history\
deltree /Y c:\windows\temporar\
This does it blunt instrument style at boot up.
The above commands placed at the end of the Autoexec.bat file.
The folder or directory names must be accurate.

Thereafter as Win98 boots, because they do not exist, it recreates pristine new, empty, index.dat files...
Just 'rem' out to disable commands.
rem deltree /Y c:\windows\history\
rem deltree /Y c:\windows\temporar\

;)

Back