Windows, Building Regulations, which part?

So on the same note, I'm an electrician and I can choose not to comply with Part P because I wasn't told to do so by a client I'm carrying work out for?

If you are not self certifying through your Part P scheme you are free to work to whatever specification your client requests. Obviously from a legal POV you would want to ensure your work did not err towards professional negligence but this would not necessarily mean it also complied with the requirements of Part P.

It is a fact that builders do not know the entire Building Regulations inside out. That's why you have specifications and drawings produced. If builders knew the Building Regs inside out we wouldn't need Building Control etc etc etc.

As freddy notes above, No general builder will know all the BRegs inside out. If that was a realistic scenario they would self-cert their work. The aspect that makes construction so challenging is that every project is bespoke; differing environments, designs, materials, project teams, timescales. No two builds are ever the same - even on "Noddy" estates. Quality Assurance is easy in an air conditioned temperature controlled factory!!!

The approved docs are just what you say, "for guidance" and other solutions are/can be acceptable because flexibility is needed at times. I've been present at site meetings where the BCO and Architect have been at loggerheads for hours and arguments dragged on for weeks only for the BCO to back down and accept the original proposal. Anyway, I've gone off track slightly, but I'm sure you can get the situation resolved with the BCO at minimal disruption. Maybe ask him what he would find acceptable (DevilDamo has given you a few suggestions above) and then approach the builder for the remedials FOC. Try to keep things amicable Gary.

hth

Sponsored Links
That's not acceptable.

Why isn't it? I'm an Architectural Technician and I don't know the full in's and out's of what a builder does or should know. Does that mean I'm not "acceptable"?

And of course... ALL builders/contractors do EVERYTHING as per the Building Regulations... don't they :rolleyes: I would put my life on it that there isn't one day that passes that a builder will just carry out work regardless of whether or not it complies with the Building Regulations.

All or at least the majority get given the contract and will get on with the works and get paid and most (I hope) do carry out these works with the "assistance" of the architect/technician and building control officer.

That's not acceptable.

Why isn't it? I'm an Architectural Technician and I don't know the full in's and out's of what a builder does or should know. Does that mean I'm not "acceptable"?

And of course... ALL builders/contractors do EVERYTHING as per the Building Regulations... don't they :rolleyes: I would put my life on it that there isn't one day that passes that a builder will just carry out work regardless of whether or not it complies with the Building Regulations.

All or at least the majority get given the contract and will get on with the works and get paid and most (I hope) do carry out these works with the "assistance" of the architect/technician and building control officer.

OK, I accept what you're saying.

It's not that great of an issue really as the other problem I have is the main issue. When speaking to the BCO earlier this year he suggested a plinth to be built underneath the opening window. One thing's for sure - the plinth will be going once a completion certificate is issued.

It's just another problem which I wanted to document when writing a letter to the builder.

Sponsored Links
I don't follow your comments about what it states in the Approved Document, you've been told exactly where to find the relevant section in the Building Regs where is states 1100mm above FFL.

1100mm isn't mentioned in the Building Regulations 2000

I don't really understand what you're getting at, nobody uses that document. :confused: I cannot think of a single occasion since its publication when I referred to it.

I don't really understand what you're getting at, nobody uses that document. :confused: I cannot think of a single occasion since its publication when I referred to it.

That document is the Building Regulations 2000 - the Approved Documents are guidance to help you to comply with the Building Regulations 2000.

The Building Regulations 2000 is a statutory document, the Approved Documents are non-statutory documents.

I don't use it but I understand its significance and how the Approved Documents are related to it :)

1100mm isn't mentioned in the Building Regulations 2000, however, it is mentioned in Approved Document Part B (the link you kindly posted earlier).

I'm confused... the first link are the Building Regulations and the Approved Documents are listed. However, they do not go into all AD's in detail. They're only summarised. You are to read the AD's in conjunction with the Building Regulations as the AD's provide additional information and guidance in how to comply with the Building Regulations, which is why we use them. They are however used as a "guide" and there are other ways (not mentioned in the AD's) that you can comply with the BR's.

They are however used as a "guide" and there are other ways (not mentioned in the AD's) that you can comply with the BR's.[/quote]

Correct, "British standards" being one of them or the up and coming "Euro codes" :rolleyes:

The Eurocodes relate specifically to Civil and Structural Engineering so wouldn't go into the AD's like the BS's do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back