Windows, Building Regulations, which part?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heights of opening windows, which part of the Building Regulations is applicable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are referring to escape windows then the unobstructed openable area must be at least 0.33m2 and the bottom of the openable area must be no higher than 1100mm. I think the opening light must be at least 450mm wide.

Thanks but it's the part of the Building Regulations I was after - eg Part P - electrics.

Is it Part B (Fire Safety) or Part N (Glazing)?

There are several parts that are applicable to windows in general.

I think the openable part (escape) falls under B1.

Sponsored Links
If your question contained more detail about what you want to know it would help, part B ,part K and part N apply.

It's a case of a building inspector stating that an opening window in a first floor bedroom of an extension was too high (1115mm to sill and 1215mm to bottom of opening window) for fire escape and refused to issue a completion certificate.

I'm drafting a letter to a builder and wanted to state the relevant parts of the building regulations which is contravenes.

I'm a little confused... you're arguing with the BCO who has refused to issue a completion certificate because the height to the bottom of the openable window is 1215mm and the regulations state this has to be a max. of 1100mm? :rolleyes:

You contravene the reg's so of course he wouldn't issue you with a certificate...

Depending on your situation, you don't "have to" provide escape windows. You could provide a protected corridor/escape. Again, refer to Part B (Fire Safety).

I'm a little confused... you're arguing with the BCO who has refused to issue a completion certificate because the height to the bottom of the openable window is 1215mm and the regulations state this has to be a max. of 1100mm? :rolleyes:

You contravene the reg's so of course he wouldn't issue you with a certificate...

it sounds like he wants to know so he can complain to the builder, not argue with the BCO. :)

Ahhh my apologies :LOL:

In that case, I'm not sure where you'd stand with the builder as they wouldn't know the full in's and out's of the building regulations. One can only assume that the working drawings (if there are any) provide cill/head/floor heights, etc... and so the builder has worked from those. And one can also assume there's a note in the specification that specified max. height of cills above floor levels. So... which information do you go with if they contradict eachother?

You could always introduce a small step near to the window, which would bring the floor to cill height down and would therefore be within the building reg (height) requirements... but having a step up to a window is NOT the way to go :p

Ahhh my apologies :LOL:

In that case, I'm not sure where you'd stand with the builder as they wouldn't know the full in's and out's of the building regulations.

That's not acceptable.

Considering that the Building Regulations are statutory then a builder should carry out work to comply. There can't be any argument or excuse against that.

I also have another issue with said builder which may involve Trading Standards.

That's not acceptable.

Considering that the Building Regulations are statutory then a builder should carry out work to comply. There can't be any argument or excuse against that.

Unfortunately the responsibility falls to the client or designer/architect unless the builder has specifically been appointed to achieve a Building Regulations compliant standard ie its written into their contract. To assume a builder will know the Building Regs inside out is naive at best however unreasonable you think that may be. It is not a given on every job at all. Is the builder working to a set of working drawings and / or specification?

That's not acceptable.

Unfortunately the responsibility falls to the client or designer/architect unless the builder has specifically been appointed to achieve a Building Regulations compliant standard ie its written into their contract. To assume a builder will know the Building Regs inside out is naive at best however unreasonable you think that may be. It is not a given on every job at all. Is the builder working to a set of working drawings and / or specification?

So on the same note, I'm an electrician and I can choose not to comply with Part P because I wasn't told to do so by a client I'm carrying work out for?

Yes, the builder worked to a specification which stated the opening of the window to be between 800mm and 1100mm above finished floor level.

What does it state in the actual Building Regulations regarding minimum heights of escape windows?
I take it that the dimensions stated here are from the Approved Document B and are merely guidance to help comply with Building Regulations 2000?

EDIT - I've just checked and can only see this:

PART B FIRE SAFETY
Means of warning and escape
B1 The building shall be designed and constructed so that there are appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire, and appropriate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building capable of being safely and effectively used at all material times.

Yes, the builder worked to a specification which stated the opening of the window to be between 800mm and 1100mm above finished floor level

Quoted from the Planning Portal;

Your Responsibilities

With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not).

Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration)

This is the first time you have mentioned this, that is why I asked, as your builder has worked to a specification he will need to put it right at his expense. It is a fact that builders do not know the entire Building Regulations inside out. That's why you have specifications and drawings produced. If builders knew the Building Regs inside out we wouldn't need Building Control etc etc etc.

I don't follow your comments about what it states in the Approved Document, you've been told exactly where to find the relevant section in the Building Regs where is states 1100mm above FFL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back