windows fake virus

Sponsored Links
i managaed to get avast on to it from the memory stick and it ran.
it found over 75 infections, malwarebytes found 53 so its getting better as the machine is now running quite well
is there any other anti virus package worth running on it in case avast has missed something?

Did you try any of the others suggested on page 1 of this thread?

Run the Microsoft malacious Software Removal Tool and also the web based Dr Web CureIt.

Superantispyware should also be on your computer for any situations like this. Download and install, then update and run it as a Quick Scan in normal mode.

Once you are happy that it is clean then your system restore MUST be purged to prevent someone doing a restore to one of the points that contains a snapshot of the malware.
Then set a new, clean, system restore point to fall back on.
You don't say which OS is installed but purge it with one set of the following instructions.

Purging System Restore

To remove all SR Points thus removing any contaminated ones:
Turn OFF System Restore then turn it back ON and then set a new restore point.

In XP:
Follow these instructions (method 2)
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions.

In Vista:
Follow these instructions.
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

In Windows 7
Follow these instructions
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

dave

Dave, I admire your staying power on this one.

You will know what I mean ;)

Sponsored Links
Can't blame the OP for what I said, it wasn't him that got my goat, so must try to help.

dave ;) ;)

yes i tried all the suggestions, avast, superantispy, and malwarebytes removed a lot.
i used dr web and trend which found some more, i then installed avg and that found some more too!
msrt didnt pick anything up, im still not convinced its totally clean as it tends to hang for a long time when selecting desktop icons or trying to connect to the internet. ive used ccleaner as well
Thanks for the advice though, i will run all the above again in safe mode and see if they find anymore

i then installed avg

I trust that you at least turned OFF Avast before installing and running AVG.

You should NEVER have two antivirus programs installed and running together as they cause all sorts of conflicts.

dave

Back up all your important documents etc and do a clean install.

I've reluctantly had to resort to this when all else fails :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back