windows opened to the inside or outside? which are better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recently in England and I noticed that a large part of windows opens to the outside.
In Poland the opposite is true.
How do you think that way is better?

Sponsored Links
if you are in a country that habitually uses external shutters, you can't use a window that goes outwards. In the UK shutters are seldom used on domestic buildings. Some older houses have internal wooden shutters that fold back into the wall and are concealed, these are mostly designed to work with sliding sash windows but can also be used with outward-opening casements.

however a window that goes outwards does not take up space or cause an obstruction in the room. Inwards opening windows can also be incompatible with some curtains. I have been in places with inward-opening tilt-and-hinge plastic windows and found them very inconvenient when hinged.

Building practice is very traditional and slow-moving so I am sure builders in each country like what they are used to, and think it is best.

You have a lot of arguments in. But for us in Poland when the window is opened to the inside does not cause any problems in use. In my opinion, the window opened to the outside may cause more problems when using. I works with Windows and doors manufacturer and I wonder whether the England changing trend on the window opened to the inside

Sponsored Links
Who gives a toss frankly, as JohnD mentioned, windows in the UK have been opening outwards for hundreds of years and are unlikely to change. Where would Mrs Smith stick all her chintzy rubbish if the opened inwards anyway? But really, do you have a point at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back