windows re-install

• Thread starter charliechaplinspants
  • Start date
C

charliechaplinspants

Ive got a bunch of virus` that keep redirecting my search engine to places I don`t want to go every time I use t`internet. The thing is I`ve re-installed windows once & had to change my e-mail address afterwards, then I had to tell the world & his dog about the change, it`s a nightmare, is there anyway to reinstall windows without losing all your details? Thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
Couple of comments first.
Why did you have to change your email addy when you reinstalled, you could just set up the account again with the same username and other details.
Why reinstall to get rid of a virus that can probably be removed in ten minutes.

You don't say which version of Windows you are using but if XP:
1st thing to do is clear out all your temporary files, tool of choice is ATF Cleaner, it is free and you do not have to install it. Download and instructions here

If you use Vista, follow these instructions to remove temp files:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/manualtempvista.htm

Download MalwareBytes' AntiMalware

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.
Reboot as required

I was told to go into Setup on my pc & wipe current version of windows and overwrite it. I`m no pc expert ( you guessed already ). Will try what you have advised, thanks for your time and advice, most appreciated.

I agree, the best thing to do is install a decent AV program.

However, if you really want to start again (and this should be a last resort) I would always re-format the hard disk first and then do a fresh install of Windows. I have had many cases where just re-installing windows has not cured the problems; they can lurk deep in the registry or the apps.

Another thing worth considering is taking an image copy of the hard disk as a backup (once it is complete and stable). I still use the old Norton Ghost; it’s quick and simple with its own boot disc.

I’m not sure why you had to change your e-mail addresses? Unless someone was abusing them.
Another method would be to set up an alias address on your isp account and then only delete that one if you had problems later.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like a classic case of spyware/malware than a virus from here.

I always use Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro.

Although the OP states a virus, you’re absolutely right it could well be spyware/malware.

Currently we use Sophos AV sbs, which does a pretty good job. But as with a lot of products you get what you pay for. Some AV products include anti spyware as standard but a lot see it an extra option, and cost.
Current Windows OS include Windows Defender as their AntiSpyware product, but is also available as a free download from Micrsoft. (if you accept to go through the ‘genuine Microsoft Windows’ validation process). Or maybe try a different freebee like Spybot, there are dozens of them out there.
As a general rule, if you browse the internet; switch on and configure a personal firewall e.g. Windows Firewall, install an anti-virus and anti spyware programs. Set them to on-access scanning and run full scans periodically.

Thanks for all help and advice guys, have followed Dave.m`s advice and problem sorted. The reason I couldn`t re-use my email address is because I`m using Windows Live Hotmail, this was wiped out & re installed so I had to open new account, when I tried to put in my old email addy it obviously said that my address was already in use so `pick another one you Muppet!` :D Thanks again. Will take on board all recommendations for next time!

Glad you got it cleaned up.

Keep Malwarebytes on you computer and update and run a quick scan once a week to be on the safe side. It only takes 3 or 4 minutes to scan and you know you are clean again.

Now that you have got rid of the Adware or spyware, and your computer is running OK, it is time to remove all previous system restore points to prevent you accidentally restoring to a previous point which could reinstall the spyware.

In XP:
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance & Maint. -> System -> System Restore tab
Tick Turn Off System Restore -> Apply -> OK. Then reboot your computer.
Follow the instructions above but this time untick the Turn Off SR box. No need to reboot this time.
Then set a new Restore Point:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore -> Create a restore point.
Give it a name and click Next.

Once done you are safe again.

I always leave my PC on and have it scanned with a FULL scan every night by Ad-aware and Kaspersky.

So far so good ;)

Thanks again Dave & rest of you guys, have another problem here. :cry: Just tried to play a DVD about underfloor heating ( I don`t get out much ) but my WMP is saying that it cannot be played because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on my computer. Think I`ve really made a hash of things here folks! :cry: I don`t know what I`m doing.

It's not a problem, you just need some codecs to convert the video for WMP.
Download either the:
K-Lite Codec Pack 4.7.5 Full (3rd down)
Or
K-Lite Codec Pack 4.8.0 Standard (6th down)

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Either one will do the trick.
You will get the Media Player Classic downloaded with it but you can select which player yopu want to use as your default.
Once installed, insert your DVD. It should play either with WMP or MPC.

dave

Thanks Dave you are a Star! Everything now ticketyboo! Please accept this large Virtual Beer! Cheers Fellah! :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back