Windows 8-8.1 upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently bought new PCs which came with Win8. After the initial shock of the touch-based OS on a PC, we've got used to it. Now we've had an update notice for Win8.1 so updated it. What a mistake, I wished we just stayed as we were. Brought back all the c**p I had got rid of!

Anway, we were using Mozzila Thunderbird for e-mails. After the upgrade, Thunderbird is still installed, but all the e-mail account details are gone and all address book and e-mails appear to have gone. Obviously I can re-enter the account details but not the addresses and I can't recreate the e-mails in my inbox. Have these gone for good or will they be backed up somewhere on the hard drive and I can I get them back??

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure how Windows does it but as Thunderbird is a Mozilla creation I'd imagine there'd be a .(dot) Thunderbird folder in "Program files" ?

(Show all files)

In Linux it's easy peasy, Just go to Home folder.. Press ctrl + H to show all hidden files and open the .Thunderbird folder..

Voila

(increase quality to 1080 (and full screen) or it'll be blurry)

Thanks Cylon - wasn't quite in the same place, but you helped me know what to look for!! All e-mails restored now.

Any idea where the Thunderbird address book files are stored?

Should be the same Folder

Remember to "Show all files" as it may be hidden

d6uq.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, found it now - wasn't sure what file type I was looking for, but found the .mab files now. All back as it was.

Didn't think the windows update would mess about with other installed programs - wish I'd never bothered upgrading now!!

Back