Windowsills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am currently redecorating and painting woodwork. I have been sanding windowsills but there is caulk around the edges which has gone a bit horrible, as shown in the pictures. What is the best way to remove this? All I have seen is silicone remover, is this necessary or is there an easier way?
Also, what is the reason that the caulk would have gone discoloured like this? could it just be cheap caulk or is there a better product to use? I will be painting the sills and the walls so I have the potential to re-do it properly.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160316_170002.jpg
    20160316_170002.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20160316_170015.jpg
    20160316_170015.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
You need to mechanically scape / pull it out. I've sometimes used a hook-like tool to pull it out of gaps like those. A sharp chissel or a scraper can help on the flat parts. You'll end up trying everything you have in your toolbox to see if it helps!

Also, what is the reason that the caulk would have gone discoloured like this? could it just be cheap caulk or is there a better product to use? I will be painting the sills and the walls so I have the potential to re-do it properly.
All decorators caulk will discolour in time if not painted over, it attracts dirt, bacteria (windows and condensation) and imo are designed to be painted over.
If the standard emulsion paint cracks over the caulk, then use an oil-based undercoat then paint over with emulsion.

As said, scrape it all out by whatever means necessary (scraper, shave hook, Stanley knife, etc). If you damage the plaster, repair that with standard filler to get a nice flat surface all around the window, meaning you can use as thin a bead of caulk as possible. Once done, paint the caulk and immediately wipe off any paint that gets onto the window frame. You may actually benefit from using a low modulus silicone (ideally, an anti mould version) to seal around the frame instead of caulk, but if you do that, paint the walls first and then don't paint the silicone.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. really helpful. I have started scraping it all off, not a fun job and exactly as you predicted endecotp, using anything I can find to try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back