Windpost erection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seriously doubt wether these are needed at all but we've got them now so we just as well use them.
They are very heavy and I'm after some advice on how to brace them into position so you can build them in.
There are four of them all bolted down to the concrete and concealed in the cavity.
Is it just a case of using timbers as bracing on each one individually or would it be best to join them horizontally and then brace them.
Haven't come across this before on a domestic extension, or commercially for that matter, and the dimensions and weight of these things is considerable. If one fell over I dread to think of the damage they could do.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I seriously doubt wether these are needed at all but we've got them now so we just as well use them.
They are very heavy and I'm after some advice on how to brace them into position so you can build them in.
There are four of them all bolted down to the concrete and concealed in the cavity.
Is it just a case of using timbers as bracing on each one individually or would it be best to join them horizontally and then brace them.
Haven't come across this before on a domestic extension, or commercially for that matter, and the dimensions and weight of these things is considerable. If one fell over I dread to think of the damage they could do.
Thanks in advance

When I seen the title it sounded like it was going to be a saucy true life story..... dissappointed I am

Presumably these have been specified by an SE?
If so, they should have suggested a method for installation and temporary support.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responding Tony. They have been specified by an SE and in the reams of calculations there doesn't appear to be any info on temporary support. I'll try contacting the SE for suggestions. Would you say it's reasonable for the SE to provide this information as they have specified their use?

If an SE specifies a form of construction which is out of the ordinary, H&S rules require the SE to provide some sort of 'method statement' to ensure safe erection.
It is a moot point whether or not windposts are out of the ordinary in domestic situations. They are widely used in commercial and industrial work, where wall panels are bigger, But maybe small builders, who are only used to doing domestic extensions, are not so familliar with the methods of fitting them.
At the very least, it wouldn't hurt the SE if he just suggested a method of temporarily securing them,
(How come they are so heavy? Has he specified proprietory ones (eg from Ancon) or has he designed standard steel box-sections or suchlike?)

Depends on make of wind post you have.
We have used both Acon and IG and are a piece of cake to fit with there 90 degree bottom fixing bracket, how ever you have to leave three course of splash course down.
Depending on centres of posts wire a length of 50x100 across them two thirds up and stick scaffold board over he 50x100.
They leave a hell of cold bridge on both full fill and partial fill insulation
Where you working on top of Ben Nevis?
Regards oldun

If an SE specifies a form of construction which is out of the ordinary, H&S rules require the SE to provide some sort of 'method statement' to ensure safe erection.
It is a moot point whether or not windposts are out of the ordinary in domestic situations. They are widely used in commercial and industrial work, where wall panels are bigger, But maybe small builders, who are only used to doing domestic extensions, are not so familliar with the methods of fitting them.
At the very least, it wouldn't hurt the SE if he just suggested a method of temporarily securing them,
(How come they are so heavy? Has he specified proprietory ones (eg from Ancon) or has he designed standard steel box-sections or suchlike?)

They are from Ancon and as oldun suggests in the next post they have a flat plate 100mm wide at the bottom with two bolt holes to fix to the concrete. They are 5mm U section and top heavy beacause of a large top fixing plate which I guess in most applications where these are specified would be fixed into a steel or something so they would be secured top and bottom from the
word go. I've asked the SE for some guidance but as yet no reply.

Depends on make of wind post you have.
We have used both Acon and IG and are a piece of cake to fit with there 90 degree bottom fixing bracket, how ever you have to leave three course of splash course down.
Depending on centres of posts wire a length of 50x100 across them two thirds up and stick scaffold board over he 50x100.
They leave a hell of cold bridge on both full fill and partial fill insulation
Where you working on top of Ben Nevis?
Regards oldun

Thanks oldun I'll give a go. They are Ancon. Is the 90 degree fixing bracket an accessory then? All they've given me are shield anchors and the ties for the brick/block work. I live in the mountainous region of Sussex known as the South Downs.

Just an update in case anyone's interested.
Successful erection achieved.
Surprisingly straight forward in fact and they are quite stable even without bracing with M10 anchors into the concrete.
Thanks to oldun and Tony for advice.

Just an update in case anyone's interested.
Successful erection achieved.
Surprisingly straight forward in fact and they are quite stable even without bracing with M10 anchors into the concrete.
Thanks to oldun and Tony for advice.

Just out of interest, would you be able to disclose the cost of your wind posts? I just got a quote back for a single wind post and it's almost 5 times what we're paying for a 3m universal beam :eek: so are seeing what other options are out there.

I can understand where you're saying they certainly ain't cheap.
They were made by Ancon and ordered through a local merchant.
I had to have four and they were £180 each plus VAT including all the fixing bolts and ties which was cheaper than getting them direct from Ancon.
Hope this helps.

Blimey, the quote from Ancon was £470 inc VAT for what is essentially a flat plate of steel with some holes in it. Will call round some local suppliers, but also there's scope for using a standard steel box section so will try to price that up too.

And I thought the biggest problem the wind caused me was on my bike. :)

Blimey, the quote from Ancon was £470 inc VAT for what is essentially a flat plate of steel with some holes in it. Will call round some local suppliers, but also there's scope for using a standard steel box section so will try to price that up too.

And I thought the biggest problem the wind caused me was on my bike. :)

The merchant I used was Parker Building Supplies but I don't think they're a nationwide outfit like Travis or Jewsons.
You're probably aware but Ancon do a galvanised version which is cheaper than the stainless steel one's that have been specced for this job.
Ancon load the price for private individuals by the look of it so merchant is the way to go.
Can't afford a bike I've blown all my money on windpost's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back