winds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little unusual perhaps for this forum but I thought maybe you seasoned outdoor workers would have a better idea than me -

I live in Northern Ireland and a weather warning has been issued for here for Monday and Tuesday for strong winds. having looked there predicting around 30MPH. I am getting delivered near 5 ton of stones on Tuesday that I MUST (due to were they are being tipped - only choice) move on that day. I will be using a barrow to transport over a run of ramps up and down over loads of steps over about 30 metres.

I have done this run before in the opposite way over the same ramps etc but not in these sort of winds. Because of the run of ramps etc there is some balancing involved and I am wondering if this is going to be too dangerous in these winds - i.e. could they force me and/or the wheelbarrow of the ramps to the ground? I have never worked in 30MPH winds so no idea what they are really like. Perhaps someone has had a similar experience?

I could at worst reschedule the delivery to the following days where the winds have eased significantly

Sponsored Links
Only load the wheel barrow half way, that way you can gauge if its not too dangerous.

Or change delivery date/get hired help.

Andy

30mph wind is not excessively strong wind and on the level it wouldn't bother you. However a gusty wind, that is blowing steadily at 30 with gusts up to about 40 or 45mph would bother you, even without the wheel barrow, on the ramps.

After about 2 tons you'll be getting tired anyway, so re-schedule the delivery.

IIRC, I recently estimated about 10 wheelbarrow loads per ton, for sand.
Just so you can have an idea of what you're in for.

30mph wind is not excessively strong wind and on the level it wouldn't bother you. However a gusty wind, that is blowing steadily at 30 with gusts up to about 40 or 45mph would bother you, even without the wheel barrow, on the ramps.

After about 2 tons you'll be getting tired anyway, so re-schedule the delivery.

IIRC, I recently estimated about 10 wheelbarrow loads per ton, for sand.
Just so you can have an idea of what you're in for.

helpful to know about the estimate of ten barrows per ton - thanks.....still monitoring and yet to decide finally. I have 30MPH winds at the moment so i can get a good idea what its likely to be like tomorrow. i don't seem to be getting exposed to the worst of it due to some protection based on where house is situated and various other buildings etc around it seem to be keeping it within reason in my work zone

Sponsored Links
Yo. I was up a ladder today in Holywood and gave up pretty sharpish. The gusts are to be really bad tommorow with possible gusts up to 70mph.

If you have a bit of shelter it might be fine and really while a few spilt barrows is annoying it's not really that big a deal. As for barrows per ton i find it more like 13-14. Maybe i'm a weakling though??

Yo. I was up a ladder today in Holywood and gave up pretty sharpish. The gusts are to be really bad tommorow with possible gusts up to 70mph.

If you have a bit of shelter it might be fine and really while a few spilt barrows is annoying it's not really that big a deal. As for barrows per ton i find it more like 13-14. Maybe i'm a weakling though??

lol - thanks - decided to go ahead so fingers crossed it will be no worse than today - I can cope with that and yea I have a bit of shelter from that west wind.....having said that I wouldn't have went up a step ladder today :)

I'll be spending Thursday in Belfast, I hope it's passed over by then.

As for barrows per ton i find it more like 13-14. Maybe i'm a weakling though??

You may well be right, I've sometimes got it at about 11, but other times as much as about 14. I ususally load 10 shovels full per load.
I've never been sure whether I'm feeling strong some times, whether the built in weighing thingy on the digger where I buy stuff is a bit out sometimes, whether the driver gets near enough and can't be bothered to tip a bit more out before loading, or I miss count sometimes. (usually around 7, 8 or 9, I have to stop and think, "How many was that?"
Or even if the loader sticks a bit more on 'cos the previous load was a bit under.

Anyways, it's much cheaper than by the jumbo bag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back