Windscreen issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 15yr old VW Sharon. The car is in good condition and has done about 65'000 K
A recent problem has started with the windscreen, it only clears on one side ( unfortunately its the passenger side) the drivers side will clear eventually in about 15 mins depending on the conditions outside, it is split exactly down the middle of the windscreen. I looked on a few threads but I didn't see anything about this issue.

Sponsored Links
Is it a heated screen? If so you can only check the connections going to the side that’s not working and see whether it has a feed going to it, if not, a new screen will be needed.

May well have a relay for each side, like Fords do. If it does, swap them and see if the problem moves sides. If it does, then you just need a new relay.

edit: same applies if it has a fuse for each side.

Is it a heated screen? If so you can only check the connections going to the side that’s not working and see whether it has a feed going to it, if not, a new screen will be needed.
I think you mean if it has a feed going to it then the screen needs replacing, not if it does not have a 12v feed

Sponsored Links
Does it have an electrically heated front screen? Perhaps it is a ventilation problem.

The connection tabs to the windscreen elements also can corrode, allegedly, needing a new quickclear windscreen often enough.

IF it is a heated front windscreen. Otherwise it will be an air vent flap not opening properly or something dropped into the drivers side vents? Not sure if that age are motor driven or mechanical cable operated.

The owners manual is the place to start for fuses and relays and locations of them.

Thanks guys for the input. I have looked closely at the screen and it appears to have small faint lines so I think it is a heated screen. I will see if I can find the fuse board and relay switch and see if I can do anything suggested.

Thanks guys for the input. I have looked closely at the screen and it appears to have small faint lines so I think it is a heated screen. I will see if I can find the fuse board and relay switch and see if I can do anything suggested.
Is the problem inside or outside? If outside, maybe a good clean and a new wiper blade might cure it.

Probably a heated 'screen, handbook will confirm or in its' absence do a Google search.
We had a '06 Mondeo with the same symptoms, Sod's Law is that it will be the drivers' side that fails ;)

Time for half a brick! But be careful - I nearly took of a budget insurance policy and only just noticed in time that in addition to cutting out all the legal expenses cover rubbish etc it also excluded windscreen replacement - a bit naughty I thought.

I’ve been unlucky with screens - I’ve had a screen replaced in our last three cars - Land Rover, Range Rover and Golf. The A3 had something hit the screen a while ago with quite a bang and that now has a stone chip, luckily in an area outside the prescribed zones for an MOT failure. When I went to renew the Golf insurance a month ago, I noticed that the excess on the windscreen was £190. I changed insurance companies and paid about £15 more but the windscreen excess was only £75.

Ok well I have found the fuse box near the drivers foot well, I can't find any mention of a fuse for the windscreen only the rear screen 20 amp I have looked in the books that came with the car and in controls & equipment 3.1 it shows a switch for windscreen heating. I can't find any mention of a relay switch, does anyone know where I might find this before I start looking for a brick!

Sponsored Links
Back