Winter gas supplies could lead to price fall

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
The Financial Times said:
Gas supplies over the winter will be stronger than they have been for many years, creating the potential for a fall in prices, a leading consultancy says in a report released on Friday.

The report comes as National Grid, which runs the gas and power transmission networks, said electricity supplies would be sufficient to meet demand over the winter, even if conditions were harsher than expected. The Met Office has forecast a warmer than average winter.

http://link.ft.com/r/OZMCDD/7E8CP/46E0/PT9E9/S1QC7/MQ/h

We'll see.

Sponsored Links
seems to me with most price increases once they're up they tend to stay up.
people then tend to forget the old price.

Why did gas prices rise so dramatically anyway, did I miss something in the news. :confused:

Gas is a natural resource and we have been harvesting it for years and now it has shot up in price...Why ? Has the cost of running the rigs gone up by 40%, I doubt it, have the energy companies been making a loss recently, far from it. Somebody told me that the price of gas is linked to the price of oil, that doesn't seem right to me. :confused:

If somebody knows I would be interested.

Why did gas prices rise so dramatically anyway, did I miss something in the news. :confused:

Gas is a natural resource and we have been harvesting it for years and now it has shot up in price...Why ? Has the cost of running the rigs gone up by 40%, I doubt it, have the energy companies been making a loss recently, far from it. Somebody told me that the price of gas is linked to the price of oil, that doesn't seem right to me. :confused:

If somebody knows I would be interested.

Every time it is near an election time USA or England gas prices soar as the lobbists have to make very large donations to all parties concerned.

England has the BEST PM's money can buy we on the other hand have the best Senators and congress money can buy

Sponsored Links
seems to me with most price increases once they're up they tend to stay up.
people then tend to forget the old price.

The good old british people, put up with everything, watching, Question Time now, same crack,

What's ten yrs from now going to be like?

Gas is a natural resource and we have been harvesting it for years and now it has shot up in price...Why ?

I believe it's down to supply and demand. Look at it like this:

I started school in 1985. At some point in 1985 or 1986 we learned all about China. I saw photos of huge crowds of people riding bicycles in pointed straw hats. I heard about how chinese people were quicker with an abacus than any westerner with a calculator.

I'm 28. Yet in my lifetime a billion people in one country alone have decided they want to ditch the bicycle and get a car, central heating, mass-produced tat and whatsmore, they want it smothered with butter and covered in cheese. For chrissakes, most Chinese people above the age of 30 are lactose intolerant!

Now, that means instead of the 1 billion people in the west using fossil fuels heavily, we've got 2 billion. Oh, but wait. I forgot India. So that's 3 billion. And to top it all... it's running out.

So what we have is a product where:
1) we can't make any more of it, only use what we have in inventory under the seabeds. :eek:
2) 3 times as many people want to use it than they did 20 years ago
3) the suppliers can charge what the market can stand... how many people would be prepared to live unheated this winter just to prove a point? :confused:

I think it sucks, personally. One of my friends was involved with some project involving the gasification of wood and biomass (working for and funded by one of the big oil companies) - didn't amount to anything. I think we'll find that as fossil fuel prices rise, new technology will seem more reasonable.

Back