Wire extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Iam looking to install a manrose inline extractor fan with timer in the bathroom where there has never been an extractor fan fitted before.
My problem is the fan has a live, neutral and ls (switch) connection. I have the adequate 1.5mm 3core and earth cable. Iam planning on wiring the fan into an isolator then into the light, the issue is the there is only a live, neutral and earth connection In the light. No where for the switch wire to go. No sure what to do any help would be greatful.

Attachments

• 20230121_154337.jpg
    20230121_154337.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230110_230245.jpg
    20230110_230245.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
The switched live conductor (should be red or brown with black or blue sleeving) at the ceiling rose is where you connect.

Blup

Thanks for the reply.
I've had a look in the loft, there is no celing rose. Just the wire for the existing ceiling led light, the wire consists of a live, neutral and earth. This wire comes from a junction box in the loft.

Open up the jb ( safely isolate first), there is probably a connector bloc inside doing what is normally done in the rose.

Post a pic.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The switched live conductor (should be red or brown with black or blue sleeving) at the ceiling rose is where you connect.
Other way round -

Black or Blue wire with Red or Brown sleeving.

The Red to the light is the Switched Live; the Permanent Live will be at the rose (or junction box).

Last edited:
This is the junction box in the loft which supplies the bathroom light. Any ideas which terminal is for the switch?

Attachments

• 20230125_130850.jpg
    20230125_130850.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 88
Will have to digg a bit further to locate the bathroom light switch cable.
Cheers

Once I identify the bathroom light switche will that help locate the switch live?

The Switched Live is the red wire that goes to the light.

We need to find the associated Permanent Live and Neutral wires.

Actually any PL and N would do but that would be a bit messy.

This is the back of the light switch to the bathroom. Red (live, com) black (Neutral, L1)
I was under there impression that that black is used as the switched live and If I trace this back to the junction box I can wire the fan switched live there?

Attachments

• IMG-20230125-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230125-WA0008.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 44
This is the back of the light switch to the bathroom. Red (live, com) black (Neutral, L1)
No, the Black is the Switched Live because it becomes live when the switch is on.

1674659597225.png

I was under there impression that that black is used as the switched live
That is correct.

and If I trace this back to the junction box I can wire the fan switched live there?
Yes, because the Permanent Live(s) and Neutral(s) will be there as well.

That was corrected by efli, the OP is yet to report which conductor is SL.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back