Wire HIVE to Worsceter 8000 and replace EPH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I was hoping to have some help with wiring a HIVE 2 receiver to my combi Bosch Worcester Greenstar 8000 boiler (GR8300iw).

I've had a look at several youtube videos and posts on this forum but can't find a specific guide for my bolier. (There are similar Bosch boilers but the wiring is a little different where people have bridged Live and Common on the Hive backplate).

My existing setup is EPH Combipack 4 wireless thermostat connected to the Bosch Worcester Greenstar 8000 boiler (GR8300iw).

The current connections are from EPH to boiler:

Neutral In on Boiler - > Neutral on Thermostat
Live In (Brown) on Boiler -> Live on Thermostat
Live Out (Black) on Boiler -> Common/2 on Thermostat
Swith Live/LR Heating on Boiler (Grey) -> NO/3 on Thermostat

There is also a bridge on the boiler itself from Live Out - LR Water (small black wire)

On the EPH thermostat, Live and neutral are also connected via a separate wire from the mains.

My question is do I wire the HIVE in the exact same manner or does it have to be rewired?

Please find pictures of my current setup and manual below.

Many thanks

20210115_181522_resized_1.jpg
20210115_184316_resized_1.jpg
20210115_185336_resized_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20210115_183101_resized_1.jpg
    20210115_183101_resized_1.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 793
  • 20210115_183427_resized_1.jpg
    20210115_183427_resized_1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just wire it the same as now, with the exception that the black wire goes to 1 on the Hive. Don't alter anything in the boiler.
So
2 browns to L
2 blue to N
Black to 1
Grey to 3
The earth wires should also be joined together on the Hive earth terminal. They should have been joined together before, but whoever wired it up has cut them.
Also try to get all the copper wire under the terminals so no strands are hanging out like they are at the moment.
Whoever wired that was a rough t**t!

Wow thanks for such a quick reply
Will have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on

I think you are confused, the Hive 2 is for a system boiler using Motorised valves for CH and HW but you are showing wiring for a combi boiler, what set up do you have ?

Sponsored Links
I was also going to ask why the down grade, from EPH to Hive, but since boiler is Worcester Bosch no opentherm so does not really matter if only one thermostat. But the EPH can work master/slave etc. That is not an option with Hive.

Maybe Worcester Bosch is opentherm now, note the EMS bus control, but in that case why is it not connected?

Quick update

Johnmdc's advice worked and the hive thermostat is working fine.

@ianmcd : You're correct - its a combi boiler. Hive were selling a single channel setup for controlling ch only.

This was actually for my dads house (was easier to state my setup in the original post instead of expanding). We have a system boiler at my house with motorised valves for ch and water. For ours, we actually got british gas to install it. He literally unclipped our existing thermostat and put the hive receiver on. I assumed the eph at my dads would have been the same as it was installed only 2 years ago and my older system boiler setup had the standard plate for the controller.

Hence, why i went for the self install option. Its only when I unscrewed the eph front did i realise that the eph didn't have a separate backing plate.

@ericmark : We already had a hive hub for the lights and wanted a smart thermostat to help them control the heating through the phone. Plus this way i can help with changing settings (albeit rarely required once set up).

Sorry don't know why the opentherm connections were not setup with the eph when it was originally installed. The boiler does support opentherm. Hive doesn't. I think tado and nest support it. In hindsight they would have been better options but went for the cheaper route due to already having a hive hub. Might be false economy but will suffice for now.

Attachments

• 20210116_143103.jpg
    20210116_143103.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 945

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back