Wire locations for external lights

It won't be at ceiling height. It's coming in from the exterior in the middle of the internal wall approximately 300mm from the ceiling.

It will be joining an existing external lighting circuit. It wouldn't be practical to have the switch where the cable enters.

Sponsored Links
It won't be at ceiling height. It's coming in from the exterior in the middle of the internal wall approximately 300mm from the ceiling.

It will be joining an existing external lighting circuit. It wouldn't be practical to have the switch where the cable enters.
You'll need to use steel conduit, then, or armoured cable.

Sponsored Links
Nope - earthed steel conduit negates the need for a cable to run in a "safe zone".

After the cable enters, where will it run?

Sure you can't have the light a bit higher so the cable falls into the 150mm zone?

Are you assuming that the cable will come through the wall horizontally, or at an angle, i.e. sloping up as it comes in? (Which is best practice anyway).

Unfortunately the ceilings are crazy high in this old house, and the mrs wants the lights where she wants them

Thanks for you help!

How thick are the walls?

What angle would you need to get the cable emerging a bit higher?

So therefore there are 4 zones created - left, right, up, down.
Not by virtue of its presence.

522.6.202(i) Where a cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone, either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear.

Why does that mean that you cannot have 2, 3, or 4 cables connected to the accessory?

Why does that mean that you cannot have 2, 3, or 4 cables connected to the accessory?
You can but, as you know, an accessory itself does not create safe zones for cables not connected to it.

So, a light switch with only one switch drop, does not have four zones around it allowing other cables to be buried there.

You can but, as you know, an accessory itself does not create safe zones for cables not connected to it.
Indeed not, but that is irrelevant.

So, a light switch with only one switch drop, does not have four zones around it allowing other cables to be buried there.
If it only has one drop then no other cables need zones to go in.

If the circuit loops through the switches, are you claiming that two circuit cables could not come up from under the floor to the switch, and then a switched one run up to the ceiling to go to the light?

Indeed not, but that is irrelevant.If it only has one drop then no other cables need zones to go in.
It is not irrelevant because that is what was being suggested.

If the circuit loops through the switches, are you claiming that two circuit cables could not come up from under the floor to the switch, and then a switched one run up to the ceiling to go to the light?
No, I was trying to point out to the OP that merely placing a socket below his cable position is not a satisfactory solution.

It is not irrelevant because that is what was being suggested.
It is irrelevant, because it has no bearing on the number of zones an accessory creates.

Accessories (sockets, switches etc.) do not create four safe zones, as is implied in the diagrams of safe zones.
Yes, they do.

They create 4 safe zones, as shown in the diagrams, for cables connected to them. The diagrams of which you speak to not show any zones for cables not connected to the accessories.

No, I was trying to point out to the OP that merely placing a socket below his cable position is not a satisfactory solution.
Well it would be if the lights were on that socket circuit. It is what flameport suggested.

When I said he should be wary of suggesting a socket on a lighting circuit, I got this in response:

He didn't suggest putting a socket on a lighting circuit though did he mate

So then when I asked EAST61 how flameport knew that the light was going to be on a socket circuit, I got this in response:

It's not going to be on a socket circuit.

Try reading.

So the OP is being totally obstructive in this regard.

Cables connected to an accessory may be routed horizontally or vertically from that accessory.
In other words in any of 4 zones. Two horizontal, left & right. Two vertical, up and down. In other words accessories do create 4 zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back