Wire locations for external lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I Drill a hole directly through my wall for an outside light cable, and in the inside bury the cable in the plaster, do I need some kind of indicator on the inside that a cable is there? Like a back box with a blanking plate?

Trying to avoid running the cables around the exterior of the house, but realised if they were hidden in the plaster that would probably be naughty.

Sponsored Links
As the wall is going to be thicker than 100mm you can't run the cable concealed on the inside. (Though I'm here to tell you a lot of electricians do do this.)

Another option would be to use earthed steel conduit to protect the cable.

Sponsored Links
Why not?

Aren't you confusing two different things?

I've probably made an unhelpful comment.

I was referring to the fact one can run a cable down a wall and drill through and fit an accessory, otherwise not in a cable zone, only on walls less than 100mm. But this would be totally irevelent on a thicker outside wall.

But to clarify further, of course one can run a cable concealed in a wall and through to the outside if in appropriate zones.

That's an option, but a better one is to add a socket outlet to that wall vertically aligned with the lighting cable.
Don't let Winston find you suggesting that.

But I have to say I don't think you should put a socket on a lighting circuit just because you want an accessory to create a cable zone.

A DP switch would create a zone, and would allow the light to be isolated if it caused problems.

Don't let Winston find you suggesting that.

But I have to say I don't think you should put a socket on a lighting circuit just because you want an accessory to create a cable zone.

A DP switch would create a zone, and would allow the light to be isolated if it caused problems.

He didn't suggest putting a socket on a lighting circuit though did he mate

It's not going to be on a socket circuit.
Then a socket does not create a safe zone for your cable.

Accessories (sockets, switches etc.) do not create four safe zones, as is implied in the diagrams of safe zones.
Cables connected to an accessory may be routed horizontally or vertically from that accessory.

So the area vertical from a socket is not a safe zone

So the area vertical from a socket is not a safe zone
Not if the cable is not connected to it.

What is the route of the cable?
If it is from a lighting circuit, then it will be at ceiling height.
Are you having a switch which will involve a cable dropping down to it anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back