Wire strippers / cutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow tool lovers , can you give me some idea on wire strippers , cutters.
I am touching on electrics in my job and the wiring is slow due to stanley knifing the wires , not easy . Do i go to b&q or an electrical wholesaler i am a bit bewildered cheers mark

Sponsored Links
i use knipex pliers personally they do absolutely everything you could want to a wire or cable ( unless armoured ) i also have some knipex side cutters, very rarely use em but now and again they come in handy. either ur local elec retailer or screwfix will be able to sort you out between £20 + £30

beware that the incorrect tool can nick the copper. A stanley knife can also cut your thumb off. Either is more likely if you are not skilled from doing it every day.

I have some very old click-stop adjustable strippers that I bought many years ago, so I will watch to see what other people recommend. I prefer mine to the adjustable or automatic ones I have tried.

Never use your teeth.

Sponsored Links
i have a pair very similar to these....

it's all down to feel and repeated use.. other people can't use em right but i've used the same pair for over 10 years now and will continue until they fall appart..

i suppose from a diy perspective these preholed and shaped cutters are brilliant as they probably dont allow you to "nick the wires or such" but for me a pair of decent pliers are all i need im a joiner so do little electrics (only when legally allowed) but having one tool to do the job is better than having multiple. its how i was taught and how iv been doing it for 15 yrs and i have never had a prob :D

Stanley cutting the wires did sound crewd but i do a more tackfull approach, the auto cutters were the ones i was thinking off but maybe not as johnd says , i suppose its all about preference i will have to do some investigation , thanks for comments

It will be a mix , i work in a utilites building with everything from low voltage to three phase domestic and industrial type of wireing .
You said you dont like the auto cutters are they awkward to use ?
cheers mark , sorry johnd said he did not get on with them.

Maybe you will like the auto ones once you get used to them? i am used to my old ones.

But try not to get into the habit of using a cutting tool such as a knife or pliers, I am sure that they are liable to cause nicks or wounds.

Once you get habituated to a method you will find it difficult to change. So start off with good practice and get used to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back