wirefree alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am after installing an alarm system in my home and considering the cost and damage to decor that can occur installing a wired system I am opting for a wirefree one.

From what I see on the internet, Yale are the best and the 3600 model is the one to go for.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this information?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am after installing an alarm system in my home and considering the cost and damage to decor that can occur installing a wired system I am opting for a wirefree one.

From what I see on the internet, Yale are the best and the 3600 model is the one to go for.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this information?
Nothing wrong with decent wireless kit - ignore the doom and gloom someone will post about it on here shortly.
However - Do NOT bother with Yale.
Scantronic I-on or the Visonic stuff will do you fine.

agree with the reply above. ive used a fair few visonic kits now and no problems. not had the chance to use the i-on yet but ive heard good things. stay away from yale , they should stick to locks

and considering the cost and damage to decor that can occur installing a wired system
What's that then?
a professionaly installed hard wired alarm you will only see the cables around the control panel (not the keypad) when done right.

you too can do this if you take your time.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with decent wireless kit - ignore the doom and gloom someone will post about it on here shortly.
However - Do NOT bother with Yale.
Scantronic I-on or the Visonic stuff will do you fine.

What are the problems with the Yale kit? My neighbour was looking for a cheapish wireless alarm and I think she's looking at one - mainly because it's available in Argos. I'll probably fit it for her, whatever she gets.

The Friedland Response wireless alarms are better and are cheaper at screwfix than the Yale ones as well.

I have never had a problem with these alarms, easy to install, no false alarms or interferance..... you can adjust sensitivity, they have an antijam protection to stop people jamming the frequency which can be switched off if you have trouble with interference (I havnt seen any problems) and they monitor battery life (Last set lasted 18 months and they only cost 75p for a duracell lithium battery)

I'm sure people will be along to slate this system but I don't see the point in an average house on spending a fortune as a cheap alarm is enough to put people off....... and if it isnt, they wouldnt be put off by an expensive one either as they would be pro thieves, who would be unlikely to target you average house.

At the end ofthe day you are not protecting the crown jewels..... normally your TV + PC and your whiskey collection from wouldbe teenagers, not pro's.

House insurance is great as well.

they have an antijam protection to stop people jamming the frequency which can be switched off if you have trouble with interference

Jamming or receiving "information" from a nearby system ?.

Jamming is a signal that swamps the receiver and prevents it hearing the transmitters it needs to hear.

Jamming cannot be stopped other than by turning of the transmitter that is sending the jamming signal or by changing the radio frequency on all the units of the systems.

Information from other systems can be ignored by using identity tagging on each and every message. The system be configured to operate in the gaps between signals from the other system or systems that the receivers can hear.

they have an antijam protection to stop people jamming the frequency which can be switched off if you have trouble with interference

Jamming or receiving "information" from a nearby system ?.

Jamming is a signal that swamps the receiver and prevents it hearing the transmitters it needs to hear.

Jamming cannot be stopped other than by turning of the transmitter that is sending the jamming signal or by changing the radio frequency on all the units of the systems.

What I mean is the alarm will sound rather than just being rendered useless if someone attempts to jam the signal..... i.e. you can't deactivate it by swamping the signal as it will trigger an alarm condition.

Information from other systems can be ignored by using identity tagging on each and every message. The system be configured to operate in the gaps between signals from the other system or systems that the receivers can hear.

Correct.

What I mean is the alarm will sound rather than just being rendered useless if someone attempts to jam the signal..... i.e. you can't deactivate it by swamping the signal as it will trigger an alarm condition.

That is also the problem.

you know your alarm is going off or "being jammed" but as its radio you cant see what the cause is, so you cant easily cure it

Or if the alarm fails to alarm when it should you cannot easily determine if the sensor failed to detect intruders or the alarm box was spoofed into thinking the sensor was sending "no intrusion detected" by hearing a similar sensor in the house next door saying "no intrusion detected".

If the jamming signal swamping the receiver just happens to mimic the normal "no intrusion detected" signals from the sensors then the control panel will not alarm even if all the genuine sensors are saying "intrusion DETECTED"

I see how this is feasible, but in practice I would be incredibly suprised if this ever occurred.

Anyway, back on topic, the response systems are better than the yale imo

I have used visionic and I reckon it's OK. Have had no false alarms, 1 actual alarm and it kindly rang my mobile to tell me (fortunatly not a burglary but my son turning on the alarm while he was in the house).

Batterys are still running fine after 9 months... probably find one's run out when I get home now that I've said that.

Ignore Breezer - he probably still has a radiogram.

I have an ESP infinite Prime wireless alarm.

http://www.espuk.com/

My friend who has been installing alarms for years was so impressed by one he saw that he started offering them and fitted one to his own house. Honest.

I have had mine for about 12 months and never had a false alarm. Apparently they use a frequency that has been set aside in Europe for Security alarms. So there should be nothing else transmitting on that frequency to accidentally jam the signal. Wirless doorbells, ect...

Also. The PIRs dont send out. "No intruder detected" signals.

If my alarm goes off. Like when I open my front door and my son runs straight into the living room before I have disarmed. It phones my mobile phone and tells me I have a break in. I use a texecom sounder so that to a passing criminal it looks like a wired system. But it wouldnt bother me if they knew it was wireless anyway.

It will also phone me when I have to change a battery in something. (so I have been told)

I havent done this yet but you can purchase a home automation card that goes in the alarm so that your lights turn on when you get home from work ect.

Or you could place a PIR in your back garden that when activates can turn a landing/bedroom light on so that an intruder thinks someone has just woken up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back