Wireless alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , i am thinking about buying honeywell wireless alarm from screwfix and just wanted opinions regarding this , i dont have the crown jewels to protect but its just a piece of mind thing acting as a deterent .
thanks
Howy .

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but it looks like a DIY product, it doesn't appear to be graded and it seems like the wireless communication is just one way. It is also surprisingly expensive, I got a wireless Texecom Grade 2 kit for £240 (inc a extras like the backup battery) which is a professional alarm system and more importantly expandable. The Texecom is perhaps a bit more complicated to install though.

You don't say what level your expertise is. I am just a very technical person with average (or perhaps slightly above average) DIY skills and found fitting a professional alarm system wasn't that difficult with a bit of help from here.

It will probably be better than nothing, but I personally wouldn't touch it especially as it isn't cheap.

Disclaimer, I a not a professional (at least not for alarms) but I do have an interest in alarm systems and understand the grading system etc.

I'm surprised it has only three zones. It does not seem to have telephone or SIM ability to call you and your keyholders in an alert, which I think is a very important benefit. Neighbours usually ignore sirens until they get annoyed by them.

It seems expensive for a DIY kit. As it is not professionally fitted and maintained, it will not be "graded" but your insurance co might give you a small discount. This can be awkward if they refuse to pay out unless the alarm was operative in the event of a claim.

The description says it warns you if a door or window has been left open (presumably it means of the two that have sensors on them) which might be useful if you are careless enough to leave the house empty and insecure.

It says it has 200m wireless range. I have never had a shed quite that far from the house but perhaps it will be useful to someone.

I can't see how much additional sensors would cost, IMO you need (at least) one in each downstairs room, in the garage, on the stairs and hall, and any room that is accessible from, say, a flat roof, drainpipe or balcony. PIRs are not cat-proof.

I like an alarm that can chime when an external door is opened. Mine does from the back door and garage doors, even when the alarm is not set.

IMO it is an advantage to be able to set and unset it from upstairs as well as from near the main door. Perhaps they sell an accessory keypad. All this will put up the cost.

I have used several versions of Yale wireless alarm, which some professionals and others sneer at. I find them simple and good value.

Wireless packages are handy if it is a rented home or for some other reason you need to be able to remove it easily and without damage. I once fitted one to an empty house awaiting sale, and when sold I took it off and sold the alarm on ebay for almost what it had cost me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back