Wireless Burglar Alarms....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they reliable? I look around the internet and there seems to be a lot of articles saying that they are unreliable, easy to hack, can be jammed, etc.

Are they that bad? Or should I just have my old wired system updated?

Sponsored Links
Wired is certainly cheaper and more reliable. The only wireless systems worth looking at are those which are 'two-way' - ie the detectors know when the system is armed, and the control panel can instantly spot detectors with faults.

The Texecom Reflex equipment is the best on the market at the moment.

Cheers, will do a bit more searching armed with a bit more information : )

Is a Texecom Reflex something an average home owner could fit (reliably)?

Look at page 9 of

http://mpc.assaabloy.com/yalefile/Fetchfile.aspx?id=16000

This unit is equipped with the latest type of radio receiver using AM radio technology. If the system is armed, any criminal attempt to prevent
(or jam) the detector transmissions will be picked up as interference and will trigger an alarm. If the alarm is frequently triggered by interference there may be high levels of unusual radio signals in your area. Some kinds of electronic equipment can generate this kind of radio interference.

In the unlikely event of you experiencing problems with interference, it is recommended that you switch jamming detection off. Please telephone our helpline if you require any further assistance.

Which is the same as recommending that the owner of a wired system turns off the tamper detection in their alarm.

Other wireless systems will sound the siren when they detect jamming whether or not they are armed. After a few false alarms and angry neighbours the owner turns off the tamper ( jamming ) detection. Then when a criminal arrives with the jammer switched on but no siren he or she knows that the tamper has been disabled and that they can now break in knowing the wireless alarm cannot react to the break in.

And AM ( amplitude modulation ) technology is inferior to FM ( frequency modulation ) or PM ( phase modulation ).

Sponsored Links
That doesn't sound good! But I'm an average man in an average house with average belongings. Would the average burglar go to those lengths?

Criminals " going equiped " with wireless transmitting equipment and without good reason to have such equipment have been caught.

Or should I just have my old wired system updated?
If the wiring is already there I'd go with a new wired system. I'm not an alarm expert BTW but I updated my old alarm. You can pick up a new Galaxy G2 on ebay for about £30, add a battery and a keypad, and re-use your existing sensors and siren (if possible/compatible). Add a Selfmon ethernet module for £50 and control it from your phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back