Wireless Doorbell Extender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice appreciated.
I puchased a Byron BY32 wireless doorbell extender - manual here https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0054/2054/8214/files/BY32.pdf?v=1637834150

My existing bell push and chime just isnt loud enough so this provides me with 2 additional plug in chimes around the house. When its working it works well.

Wired it all in as per instructions and it has been working fine with one flaw. It eats batteries. A new (quality) CR2032 every 6 weeks or so. Obviously we don't realise the battery is gone until we miss a delivery or visitor. I've contacted the vendor, but wonder is there something I am doing wrong and/or can it be powered without the battery?

I have opened the existing original chime and wired the BY32 from the bellpush terminals. I note the 240v input to the chime unit.

I've looked at the BY32 manual and note it can be used without the battery, but I'm just unsure if thats possible with my set up.

Photos are attached of the existing original chime unit and the BY32. Any advice on how to wire this up so I'm not changing a battery every 6 weeks?

Attachments

• IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
You have option two in the manual at present ,https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0054/2054/8214/files/BY32.pdf?v=1637834150

This is where its tricky as we don't know what's the bell push on the bell housing is attached to , I would assume that its a circuit that is closed when the bell is pushed thus activating the solenoid. you can try swapping the A to b in the extender and the c to a but without knowing how the bell is wire up internally that's a guess.

I tried terminals A&B on the sender but the chimes were chiming constantly. The manual suggests if that happens to switch the wires B&A which I did but pressing the bell push has no effect at all now.

I've put it back to A&C with a new battery (again) and am awaiting further info from the vendor that might help.

Sponsored Links
I read those instrction as you CANNOT use it without a battery.
And I feel you are reading the manual slightly incorrectly.

When it says with battery - it means the actual doorbell is a battery type of Doorbell (which I believe yours is even though it is mains as it works bt detecting the push switch and sounding an electronic buzzer.

When it says with transformer - it means the actual doorbell is a transformer type of Doorbell that uses the transformers magnetic field to mechanicually sound a bell.

The two types of doorbell attach to different contacts (A, B and C) within your extender, becuase they use diffrent mechanisms to make their bell sound.

Sorry but I have no suggestion other than ebay can sell CR2032 in multipacks at a much better price than the supermarkets.

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back