Wireless Networking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps :eek:) I have just installed my Wandadoo Livebox, I have got a PC, and a Laptop on the wireless network, Both computers can access the internet through the Livebox, But I can't get "File & Printer" sharing to work on them? The printer in connected to the PC, Both computers are running "Windows XP Home (SP2) I have used computers for years, But this is the first time I have ever tried to network them, I Have set up both computers on the network, But keep getting a message saying that the network is not available? Or I am not authorised

Any info would be greatly appreciated, PaulH

Sponsored Links
ok very briefly,

make sure both are on the same workgroup (system properties/computer name), disable simple file sharing (tools/folder options/view - right at the bottom)creat a user on both pc's with the same name AND same password, log on to one as that user, create a shared folder (right click/sharing) (NOT the root of a drive.) and share the folder, for now allow "everyone" you can change that later but its preferable (even though they changed it a bit in XP) to just share as "everyone" and control permissions with NTFS perms.
Once shared, on the other pc, browse the network and the new share should show. Doing the printer is basically the same with a few more steps, I'm sure you'll fig that out, if not post back. I also reccomend disabling "automatic search for shared printers and files" (tools/folder options/view - at the top) as it can be a PITA.

HTH

ps
that is very basic, if you get stuck or want more details plz post back, also forgot to mention whilst setting up, disable all firewalls on all pc's - can save a major headache.

Thanks Eggplant :eek:) I will give that a go when laptop is back at home

Sponsored Links
Back