ICS over wireless

OK then.
So now go out and buy a decent one before one of us dies.
slaphappy.gif

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
So now go out and buy a decent one before one of us dies.

Done! I got a Belkin F5D7130 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DH8O2

It took a while to arrive (hence the delay in posting) but, apart from having a continental mains plug, it works a treat and at £14-99 including postage it certainly didn't break the bank. Thanks to everyone who helped. :D :D :D

Softus said:
Hm. You could have got a decent one for very little extra outlay.

This one is doing everything I was looking for but --

My daughter's friend has a similar problem - made worse by the fact that she knows bog all about computers. When her laptop wouldn't connect to her Talk-Talk modem, she foolishly listened to a salesman who promptly relieved her of thirty quid for a USB network adapter. And guess what? Her laptop still can't get on the internet; except briefly through somebody else's modem! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's when she brought the thing round to our house. A quick check in Device Manager confirmed my suspicions. Her laptop has a wireless adapter built in already; it's her modem that doesn't! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This just goes to show how easily the ignorant can be ripped off. :mad: :mad: :mad:

When she sees what our laptop can do, I expect she'll be wanting something just like our new access point so if you know of a better deal I'll happily pass it on. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
This site isn't about finding "a deal" for people; it's about solving problems.

If your daughter's friend has any requirements at all, then you could post them here and you'll get advice on how to meet them.

Why make a quote like that, and then refuse to tell him where he can find one for a little extra?

It sort of contradicts what you have written here.

then you could post them here and you'll get advice on how to meet them

I don't like Belkin kit personally , I think theGUI is dire.

BoxCleva said:

That's a point worth noting. The F5D7130 manual isn't exactly novice-friendly either. She's one of those very many people who expect a machine to do exactly what they want it to do as soon as they press a button. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It'll do that alright and she'll be able to connect to her modem - along with everybody else in the near vicinity! :!: :!: :!:

Why make a quote like that, and then refuse to tell him where he can find one for a little extra?
I haven't "made a quote", or "refused to tell him" anything; I simply stated a fact.

It sort of contradicts what you have written here.
then you could post them here and you'll get advice on how to meet them
I don't see the contradiction myself. They are both facts. Even if you don't like them there's nothing I can do about it, because they're facts.

I agree.

It was more a case of '' I'm not answering that question , but if you come back and ask another question and I will answer that one''

Just couldn't see the logic. ;)

I got a Belkin F5D7130
My daughter's friend has a similar problem
I expect she'll be wanting something just like our new access point
if you know of a better deal I'll happily pass it on.
It was more a case of '' I'm not answering that question , but if you come back and ask another question and I will answer that one''
Just tell me where the question is in that little lot, and I'll answer it.

Just couldn't see the logic. ;)
Where does it say in the rules that I have to be, or appear to be, logical?

How could I be more reasonable than this:

If your daughter's friend has any requirements at all, then you could post them here and you'll get advice on how to meet them.

so if you know of a better deal I'll happily pass it on.
That is the question you refused to answer after stating that a new one was little more than what the OP had paid for a secondhand one. That's fine, but when pushed you refused to tell the OP where this bargain device could be sourced.

This site isn't about finding "a deal" for people

It would appear from your comment about new ones being a similar price that you do know where to source them from. Why not just link the guy?

-----

Where does it say in the rules that I have to be, or appear to be, logical?

At what point did I mention a contravention of the rules?

More irrelevant ramblings Mr Softy ?

:LOL:

so if you know of a better deal I'll happily pass it on.
That is the question you refused to answer
Nonsense - that wasn't a question, and I haven't refused anything.

...after stating that a new one was little more than what the OP had paid for a secondhand one.
More utter b*llocks. I didn't mention a new one.

That's fine, but when pushed you refused to tell the OP where this bargain device could be sourced.
Nor has anyone "pushed" me. You are certainly very easily confused by plain English.

It would appear from your comment about new ones being a similar price
Please show me where I made any comment about new ones being any price whatsoever.

Why not just link the guy?
Here's an idea - why don't you re-read the bits you've utterly misunderstood, and then just go away.

At what point did I mention a contravention of the rules?

So I didnt then.

-----------

The question was simple enough. So simple in fact that you responded.

if you know of a better deal I'll happily pass it on. :) :) :)

This site isn't about finding "a deal" for people

You didn't have to work to find the 'better' deal, as you obviously knew what it was.

Not new I concede, but a decent router for similar money, better than the P.O.S he bought would most definitely be construed as a better deal.

and then just go away.

LOL. Bless ya! :LOL:

BoxCleva said:
You'd have to be as mad as a box of frogs to not secure your wifi signal. (My italics)

You know her then! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yesterday, the plot thickened. She now thinks her modem DOES have wireless - "because Talk-Talk said so". Her original diagnosis was based on the absence of a visible antenna. To further compound the problem, the other computer in the house, which is hard-wired to the modem, loses its internet connection at random intervals, a condition that can be cured by turning the modem off and on again. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The modem was set up a few years ago by somebody from Talk-Talk.

There is no manual.

She hasn't got the slightest idea how to configure it - or even get into it to do so! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This clearly calls for further investigation. If I have any more questions I'll start a new thread. Thankyou all. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back