wireless to wired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have wired network into a netgear dg834 modem router want to add a wireless adaptor to one of the desktops and let my laptop with built in adaptor connect to the internet

how do i make it work?

Sponsored Links
so are you saying that i cannot use two wireless adaptors to make a peer to peer connection and then acsess the internet via the desktop using the wired router?

It should be possible by creating a network bridge on the desktop PC to bridge the network with the internet access with the 2 computer network. You may need to create the wireless network between the two computers as AD-Hoc (I've never done this wirelessly but this is the way 2 computers connect together wired without a router.)
Another alternative is to buy a Netgear 834G which has a build in wireless router.

Sponsored Links
so are you saying that i cannot use two wireless adaptors to make a peer to peer connection and then acsess the internet via the desktop using the wired router?

Not a great way to do it. Setting up an ad-hoc connection between the laptop and the PC is quite easy. The hard part is then going to be getting the PC to route the received packets to the internet router. Windows XP has the ability to do IP Forwarding by making a small registry change, see here. Got to say it's not something i've ever tried.

Do you really want to have the desktop PC turned on to use the wireless laptop connection ?

I have also found that ad-hoc mode wireless card to wireless card setups do not offer the same range as connecting to a wireless access point/router.

It will be crap running it like that. Add an access point or change the router for a wireless one.

The only thing rubbish about the idea is that before wireless it was easy to connect and share an internet connection and files with computers with network adaptors, even bluetooth. now you have to fork out more money for a wireless router when you dont really need one, I have stayed away from wireless because of the slow speeds and poor acses compared to wired networks. all in all think i prefer cables round the house and a simple hub, compared to a naf wireless.

wanleg said:
The hard part is then going to be getting the PC to route the received packets to the internet router. Windows XP has the ability to do IP Forwarding by making a small registry change, see here. Got to say it's not something i've ever tried.
You don't have to make it that hard or complicated. Just enable ICS on the desktop computer.

However, it will, as Igorian says, be rubbish, not least because you'll need the desktop booted up in order for the other PC to access the Internet.

ratonnastick said:
The only thing rubbish about the idea is that before wireless it was easy to connect and share an internet connection and files with computers with network adaptors...
You still can - see above.

...even bluetooth.
Now you're having a laugh.

now you have to fork out more money for a wireless router when you dont really need one, I have stayed away from wireless because of the slow speeds and poor acses compared to wired networks. all in all think i prefer cables round the house and a simple hub, compared to a naf wireless.
In that case it's you who's rubbish, because there are now millions of domestic wireless networks happily running quite speedily.

missed your chance Sofus should have posted" any fool can connect two wireless network computers together and share resources using ICS."

response would have been "it dont work"

sofus:"have you tried disabling your firewalls twit"

reply:"yes"

sofus:"now a software issue, go away"

reply:"thanks"

N.B. get a great connection from other millions of domestic unsecure wireless networks, go wireless give free acsess to your pc.

ratonnastick said:
missed your chance Sofus should have posted" any fool can connect two wireless network computers together and share resources using ICS."
Since that's untrue, why should I have posted it?

N.B. get a great connection from other millions of domestic unsecure wireless networks, go wireless give free acsess to your pc.
Please explain how having a wireless connection gives free access to your PC.

Or are you just prejudiced against things you don't have the capability to understand?

Give me your post code, unsecure your wireless network acsess and i will be round to steel your info. even better then hijack the internet connection route through another router and watch and take any info you send including bank details.

ratonnastick said:
Give me your post code
No.

unsecure your wireless network
No.

even better then hijack the internet connection route
Oh no - not my Internet connection route! Anything but that. :eek:

...and watch and take any info you send including bank details.
I'd like to see you decrypt a 128-bit encrypted SSL connection, even if you had cracked the WPA2 key that I change at random intervals.

And when I say "I'd like to see you", I actually mean "I know that you can't".

wep can be hacked in about three mins, wpa reported compromised in 2004 even with 128 bit encryption , progs avaliable to download from astalavista. ;)

Even if I needed to spend three minutes on an online bank connection, it's an SSL connection via a VPN server. You don't have a hope.

VPN server by definition is an point of access to a network for remote computers via dialup or the internet. designed to give access not stop it.
so now you have an access point from the internet connection as well as the wireless access point.

Sponsored Links
Back