wireless programmable thermostat with system boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As subject title says, i want to add a wireless programmable thermostat to my ferroli optimax he 31s boiler, i currently have a seimens programmer that controls the boiler times and trvs on the rads to control the room temp, the seimens controller has seperate hot water and central heating switches and programs , and there is a motorised valve which activates when we need the hot water only,cutting off the supply to the rads, i would like to put in a programmable wireless thermostat and take away the seimens programmer but am concerned that i will lose the seperate hot water/central heating function, has anyone here come across this before or would i be better off putting in a non programmable wireless thermostat to control the heating temp and leave to existing programmer ?.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You will need to keep a programmer for your hot water, but for your heating you can use a programmable room stat.
Do you already have a room stat?
Why do you want a wireless stat?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i dont have a room stat just the trv's, i want a wireless one as i wouldnt be able to route the wiring for a normal thermostat to where i need it, so what your saying is i need to keep the original programmer to control the hot water and use the new one to control the central heating ?

Yes you can place the reciever end of roomstat near your programmer.
Leave heating on constant on the programmer and send the swiched live for the heating through the roomstat to control your heating.

Sponsored Links
Its startin to make a little sense now but i'm still a little confused about the wiring side, the way my programmer is set up is that to have the central heating on I have to have the hot water on as well, ie to set the heating to come on from 9am till 11am I have to set the central heating to that time and also the hot water to that time, i think the hot water switch triggers the boiler and the central heating switch triggers the motorised valve to open the rads.
If i was to set the central heating to constant to allow the thermostat then the motorised valve would be permanatly 'open' allowing the water to enter the rads all the time ie. hot water only
Does that make sense ?

The power would only be going to the moterised valve when the roomstat was calling for heat, as you are putting the roomstat inbetween the programmer and valve.

ok great,
Thanks for all the replies,

so should i go for a basic wireless non programmable room stat to control the central heating temp, using the original programmer to control all the times or should i use the two programmers together, using the original to control the hot water and the new programmable room stat to control the heating ?

That my friend is up to you!
Either will work if wired correctly.
Programmable roomstats give better control of heating needs in my experiance.

Hi,

Sorry last question i promise !!

you said to wire the new programmable room stat in between the original programmer and the motorised valve, so that when the thermostat calls for heat it opens the valve for the central heating, is that correct ?
So do i have to set the hot water times on the original programmer to correspond to the time settings for central heating the new programmer?

Hi,

Thanks for joining in,
if i can remeber correctly its the second one of the pictures, it comes off my boiler and goes straight up, i control the temperature of the water via the boiler central heating temperature, i have no cylinder thermostat

Hi,

So do i have to set the hot water times on the original programmer to correspond to the time settings for central heating the new programmer?

No you could set the hot water times for when you like.
However you would be better of altering your controls to include a cylinder stat

However you would be better of altering your controls to include a cylinder stat
That would mean a second valve, same as the one you already have, in the cylinder circuit, and a cylinder thermostat.

The existing timer would control the HW circuit (new valve and cylinder stat); the new programmable stat would control the central heating.

So am i Ok to carry on with my current configuration or is it advisable to add a cylinder stat and a new valve ?
I have the central heating temp on the boiler set at 75 deg, this controls the temperature of the hot water in the tank i presume, by leaving the original programmers central heating on constant and just use it for hot water will the new programmable thermostat be able to trigger the boiler and the central heating valve ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back