Wireless router losing contact?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has a laptop and shares a wireless router with someone else in the house.

Very often the laptop loses its lock to its own router and locks onto a BT open hub which wants to charge a daily rate for connection!

The own router is a strong signal but there are about 10 different routers being received in the house.

Why should it keep losing contact and then logging on by itself to the BT openhub? Is the BT system predatory?

Tony

Sponsored Links
at the botton right, in the task bar, right click on the wireless icon and select view wireless networks, on the left of the box that pops up select cange the order of preffered networks.

on the next bit delete the BT open hub from the list, windows should then only connect to your wireless, and only ask to connect to others when yours isnt there.

Thanks for that advice!

Just done it and hopefully it will solve the problem!

The owner's computer guy had been round a couple of times and apparently not realised that needed setting.

He was perhaps distracted because the router has locked out a few times.

I must assume that the correct router must be interrupting its output or perhaps movements in the house are causing the signal to be temporarily lost and the system was instead reverting to the BT open hub.

There may also be another problem with the desktop though because for some reason it lost the password today.

Your help is much appreciated.

Tony

also make sure you are wep protected if others are able to use your settings at worst you could be at risk of identity theft etc at the least someone else could be using your internet allowance and that could cause you problems

Sponsored Links
also make sure you are wep protected if others are able to use your settings at worst you could be at risk of identity theft etc at the least someone else could be using your internet allowance and that could cause you problems

WEP's been cracked it's WPA you want to be using.

thanks for that I've now changed my router :D
Also make sure you use a very long (say 30 characters or more) and random key because if you use a dictionary word you can do a brute force attack and get in.

Back