TalkTalk router poblem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently changed broadband from Tiscali to TalkTalk and received a new router from TalkTalk. The router is a Huawei Echolife HG521, when i searched for problems with this router on the net i got lots of responces which shows the unit has problems.

My Tiscali router which i still have and always worked without problem is a Siemans Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsi.

The problem i have with the TalkTalk router is wireless, i can get onto the net at first, but then within a few minutes the connection drops, the only way to get it back is to disconnect the router (from the laptop) and reconnect, then a few minutes later the connection drops again. With the ethenet cable all is fine, it's just wireless that has problems.

I've been on the TalkTalk site and followed trouble shooting procedures to no avail, the other evening i rang their tech line and got charged £2.00 in call fees for a guy to go through the same procedure as their website, get connection for a few minutes and back to square 1 again.

Does anyone know if i can get my old Tiscali router to work on TalkTalk or should i look at getting a good quality router which will work with TalkTalk?

In the mean time i'm going to ring TalkTalk complaints and request i new router, but i don't have much confidence in the kit they supply.

Any advice will be apprecited,

Sponsored Links
Update,

I've spoken to TalkTalk and requested a new router be sent out, apparently it's going to be a G router, the one i have from TalkTalk is an M router.

I live in hope but at the same time would love to be able to simply use my old Tiscali router which as previously said was perfect.

Any ideas?

my talk talk router is still in the box
i use my netgear dg834pn no probs

Sponsored Links
Hi Aqua

I am guessing that your new router was an N rather than M. The wifi range will be faster and longer than the G replacement.

I would start off by trying to get the N router to work, probably by going into the wireless settings and changing the channel number, you will have a choice of 13, go for 1, 7, or 13, for example. The problem might be as simple as interference from your DECT phones or the channel you are on at the moment might be congested by your neighbours' routers.

If however you still want to use the old tiscalli router then follow some of the advice here (to get into the admin pages)

http://portforward.com/english/routers/wireless/Siemens/Gigaset-SE587/wireless.htm

Once you are in the router admin pages go to the settings tab- all you will need to change are the dsl username and password- substituting them with the talk talk ones- if you don't know them then get them from talk talk, I think you can do them online, if not phone them. Then save the settings and it will probably reboot.

Hi opps,

Thanks for that reply, TalkTalk have sent another router....exactly the same model as the last. I have it running and it is a bit better, doesn't cut out so far but not quick downloading stuff like youtube....

I have tried changing the channel and will see how it goes for now.

I found that when I had router problems(if it's not a faulty router) it was usually down to the wireless adapter in the machine. If you haven't checked that I'd suggest that you do. Any trouble I had with the adapter would be solved for a few months by alternating my settings between
A) allowing windows to configure my wireless settings
B) allowing the wireless adapter(in my case, Belkin) to configure my wireless settings

Hi opps,

Thanks for that reply, TalkTalk have sent another router....exactly the same model as the last. I have it running and it is a bit better, doesn't cut out so far but not quick downloading stuff like youtube....

I have tried changing the channel and will see how it goes for now.

Can you confirm that download speeds over wifi are slower than ethernet?

Madder does raise a good point about compatibility. I have known some adaptors that couldn't even see networks that others could. Anyway stick with trying different channels first. If no improvement we can move on to the next stages.

edit______________

BTW you doe realise that Tiscali are Talk Talk?

Hi all,

Ok, yes i know Tiscali is TalkTalk and am suprised at the difference of the hardware supplied.

Ethenet speeds are about the same as i got before the change to TalkTalk contract, wireless is totally rubbish though....like dial up speeds sometimes.

I have yet to lose connection with this 2nd router they sent but as above the download speed is a problem. Changing the channel doesn't appear to have helped at all re speed.

The problem 'in my opinion' is with the router, neither TalkTalk unit is a patch on the Siemans Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsi that i was using previously. Ideally i would like to reuse that and will have ago with it re the instructions supplied above by opps.

Hi,

I have tried using the link supplied by opps, everything seems ok at first glance, all connected and firewalled as it should be, however, the Siemens router 'Online' light remains red no matter what i do. When the explorer 'can't connect' page comes up and i run the fault finder the following appears in the log.

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Any ideas from here?

Sounds as though it isn't getting the dns settings- you can use the opendns ones

■208.67.222.222
■208.67.220.220

Hi again,

TalkTalk have now sent me a total of 3 routers, all exactly the same Huawei Echolife HG521 units.

The problem discribed above is always the same no matter which router i use, the TalkTalk people i speak to on the phone are now saying the problem must be with my laptop, as 3 of their routers can't all be faulty....

They've now got me wondering if that's true....but, how can this laptop have worked faultlessly for months and months (years infact) with the Tiscali router i used previously and then suddenly develop a fault the very moment i start using the TalkTalk piece of junk....

Help anyone,

if the same light is red on each of the routers then I would say it is nothing to do with the lappy.

Talk talk are awfully crap. You are (possibly) talking to the lowest level of supposed support staff- who read off a list and then arbitrarily send out a new router.

Pop down to mcDonalds with your pc and see if it works. If it does ask TT for a refund and join Virgin (if they have non adsl in your area)- once you cancel TT they might still try to take your money and send bailiffs after you- happened to my GF- they are either scum or incompetent- not sure which yet...

Sponsored Links
Back