Wireless 'two-channel' programmer control possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wonder if someone can shed some light on this very 'grey' topic for me.

We have a Halstead Best 60 boiler, Gravity Feed hot water to a cylinder in loft and pumped CH. Currently this is controlled by a Potterton 2000 timer. For Hot water I can slide a switch and when the timer activates boiler kicks off and water goes up to the tank. For CH, slide both switches over and I get hot rads and water to the tank to.

What I have decided I would like, is to have a room thermostat so the boiler is not constantly on when we dont really need it pumping water around. A wireless sounds like a nice idea - dont really want to run cables and also it means I could shift the wireless unit to any suitable place.

What I am having difficulty getting to grips with is that all the wireless units I have looked at dont seem to be two channel, or at least its not clearly advertised as such. I would like a straight replacement unit so I dont have to faf about too much, but maybe the wireless unit are more geared up for Combi boilers, so the wireless unit only has to signal when the CH is required as the HW is all on demaned through combi.

if anyone can shed light on this, appreciated.

Many thanks

C.

Sponsored Links
I'm not certain whether there are some very new independent wireless programmers out there that have 2 channels, I have brought this up with the reps when I have seen them.

What you could do for definate is use a 7 day progammer with independent time bases for the heating and hot water, eg, danfoss FP715Si, then fit a wireless room stat and a wireless cylinder stat to control each function independently.

Thanks very much for that, will look into it.

Sounds a bit of hassle but I see how it would work around the problem - so most wireless roomstats are geared up for combi boilers then?

Usually, except those made specifically for a manufacturer and their equipment such as Vaillant and the VRT360 etc.

Sponsored Links
Gravity Feed hot water to a cylinder in loft and pumped CH.
Just to confirm, your pump only works on the CH circuit? Do you have any control over the HW temperature, e.g motorized valve in the cylinder circuit and cylinder stat? If not, the first thing to do is either convert to fully pumped (Y-plan or S-plan) or put controls in the HW circuit (C-Plan)
Take a look at Sundial Plans

Currently this is controlled by a Potterton 2000 timer. For Hot water I can slide a switch and when the timer activates boiler kicks off and water goes up to the tank. For CH, slide both switches over and I get hot rads and water to the tank to.

I would like ... a room thermostat so the boiler is not constantly on.
Before you embark on a two channel wireless control, ask yourself this question: How often do I need to change the times for my hot water? The answer is probably: very rarely. You may have the odd occasion when you need the HW on for longer, but this can be overcome by pressing the Boost/Advance button on the programmer. If I am right, you can retain the Potterton timer just for the Hot Water and buy a single channel wireless programmable thermostat for the central heating. I suggest a Honeywell CM927.

Have a read of Honeywell Application Guides Nos 109 and 110.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back