Wireless programmers and other small creatures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very quick question, working on a small project at the moment and have been asked to replace the badly positioned CH controller to a more accessible position. The question of wireless arose, and yes, I can get wireless room stats and programmers..... So why don't these programmers also control the hot water function?

Is there a 'like for like' digital wireless controller available that will do both CH and hot water control?

Great site by the way.
Sean (newbie)

Sponsored Links
The only one that springs to mind is the Vaillant stat's for their own boilers.

Danfoss do a wireless cylinder stat, but you still need a HW programmer/timer.

Ummmm, as suspected, just seems odd that quite a few companies focus on making just a room stat?

Thanks though Dave, will have to come up with an alternative I guess, will have to get my Heath Robinson Does CH and HW manual out again.....

Cheers
Sean

Have come across a 'Danfos Randall Wireless Pack' which features digi stat, programmer and HW cylinder stat controls, all wireless...... Anyone ever come across these kits, fitted anything similar, will this replace the conventional programmer for CH and HW control?

Sponsored Links
been asked to replace the badly positioned CH controller to a more accessible position.
Does it just control the CH or both CH and HW? If it controls both, it can be retained for the HW side as HW times are rarely changed. The location would not cause any real inconvenience.

Danfoss are the only company who make a combined wireless control for CH and HW; it's very expensive. The usual solution is a wireless programmable stat for the CH and a single channel timer/programmer for the HW, usually in the airing cupboard.

Yep, its the rather catchy named 087N7***** depending on the pack, checked out the link, part no. doesn't match the numbers on the manufacturers site. But yes, system is 'ahem' gravity fed, its an old system that has been 'updated' with a new boiler and pump but little else of note.

I've checked through most of the iNet and your right Danfoss are the only (apparent) ones to make a unit to control both sides. The existing system is housed in the eaves space of a chalet bungalow, and is reasonably inacessable. The current programmer is just planted on a bedroom wall, this would be better down in the kitchen.... hence this query. Any ideas as to whether this system is worth it? £140-170 quid is steep, I will suggest keeping the current programmer to do the HW and buying a wireless programmable stat.

~many thanks for responses, not a big forum user!
Cheers
Sean

I really couldn't say whether it worth it as i have never used anything like this, like i said i just did a very quick search but i would have thought that when you add up all the controls individually and take into account the time taken for wiring etc the that price isn't too steep.

The best bet is to get someone out to view and price the job up for you because if the controls are going to cost that then i don't see it being a major job at all.

When I get 5mins i will definately be looking into these controls packs as it would save a hell of alot of hassle!

Any other engineers used these or similar? Responses or reliability reports?

Glad you are enjoying the forums though, happy to help.

Jon

Why not leave the old programmer connected and time the hot water with it and put the heating in the constant position and then connect a programmable wireless room thermostat? How often doe's your customer need to overide the hot water setting?

Why not leave the old programmer connected and time the hot water with it and put the heating in the constant position and then connect a programmable wireless room thermostat? How often doe's your customer need to overide the hot water setting?
You are then relying on having a "sensible" customer who will not fiddle with the heating side of the old timer. Much better to disconnect the CH side.

Customer is pretty sensible, however I suspect he is updating house so it can be rented out. I mainly do general building, which includes everything, bar plastering! I think he is of the opinion that a single fool proof unit would be better than changing half the system. If it was me I would rip the whole lot out and put in a demand system and be done with it, still, customers eh.

These control packs do look pretty good, looks like they have at least been thinking about a proper system, will see what customer says, if this goes ahead will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers again for the responses...
Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back