Wiring a dual fuel Range Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm renovating a kitchen and replacing a oven/hob with a dual fuel range (Rangemaster Elan1100). According to the specs the max load is 7.4KW for this range. I need to move the CCU so will need to reroute cabling.

I've a couple of questions regarding MCB and Cable size.

1. Is a 32A MCB sufficient or do I need to go higher (35A) ?.. It will be a dedicated feed to the cooker i.e no socket off the CCU.

2. Will 6mm cable suffice? The cable will run from the Fuseboard directly into the atttic (it's a bungalow) and will run on top of fibreglass insulation for about 15 feet before coming down to CCU in trunking (chased behind plaster on solid wall for about 6feet drop). or will I need 10mm ?

Appreciate any feedback .. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the budget allows use 10mm as if at some future date you want to upgrade you have made it future proof if you see what i mean, 32a cb will be adequate.

I would strongly recommend using 10mm2. If you want to add a hob or something else later on, it will make life much easier.

A double pole switch is required in Ireland for a cooker connection. Use a 45A switch if possible, again it's just less fuss to upgrade things later on if you need to add any other cooking appliances.

The UK style CCU (with socket) is not permitted in Ireland. Even so, it's commonly sold in DIY shops! I have never understood why when it can't legally be installed!

Sponsored Links
Back