Wiring a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me work out which wires go where!

I have bought a new pendant light fitting, but the wires don't match up, there seem to be two earths. In the ceiling, in a cirle, is a yellow at the top, then in a row from left to right, 1 red, 2 red next to each other and a black.

In the light is a long yellow and green, then together is a blue, a brown, and a yellow and green wire.

I'd be very grateful for any help! Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can you upload a piccy of the old light, how it is wired and a pic of the wiring in the new light?

The terminal in your ceiling with the yellow cable is probably the earth terminal. Check it closely, it may be yellow/green stripes. Does it have an earth terminal symbol (-||l') printed next to it? If so, this is what you do-

Connect both of the yellow/green cables to the earth terminal in the ceiling (with the 'yellow' cable).
Connect the brown wire into the terminal with the single red.
Connect the blue wire into the terminal with the black wire.
You'll be left with the two reds together in the centre terminal.

Sponsored Links
Sparkyspike you are wonderful, thank you so much!

I did look properly, the yellow in the ceiling is yellow and green, the green was hiding. I haven't got a camera that uploads but that answers my question anyway, you have saved me so much hassle, big thank you! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back