Wiring A Metal Dimmer Switch With Only Live And Neutral ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've bought a metal dimmer switch that needs to have an earth wire attached, Unfortunately my light wiring only has two wires Live\Neutral.
I used to have a metal touch dimmer ages ago and seem to remember when it went wrong and removed it that it had an earth wire attached to the switch going into a wire block but can't remember how it was wired to it though :confused:
Here are some pics:
dimmerfront.jpg

wiresi.jpg

Earthing screw point on the right:
dimmerback.jpg

So the question of the day is what do I wire the earth to from the switch ?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Without replacing the cable going to the switch, the simple answer is you can't use that switch, as it MUST be earthed, but you don't have an earth available - it's also a plastic backbox, so there's no chance that e.g. the cables have been run through conduit and you've got the earth that way.

The only possibility is if the cable does have an earth, but someons cut it off right back to the outer insulation - have a look and see if there is an uninuslated core hiding in between the red and black, if there is, then you can either try and get more cable through (which is unlikely), or if it's not long enough as is then using a crimp and a ratcheting crimp tool you could extend it...

Thanks for the reply, No there's no earth wire hiding further up the sleeve, But I can't understand how I had my old dimmer also all metal wired into the same socket ? And that worked fine :eek:

Well, the dimmer will work (since that just needs the live and switched live (the black isn't neutral!)), but it won't be safe, since any fault in the switch or a wire coming loose etc means the whole front plate of the switch will be live, ready to electrocute the next person who touches it - so if you had a metal switch there previously, it was just waiting to kill somebody...

Sponsored Links
Lol yeah I guessed it prob wasn't safe with out a proper earth which is why I posted on here :D I could alway wire it up and ask ppl round I don't like get them to wash their hands and not wipe e.c.t ;)
Looks like I'll have to ditch the metal one and buy a plastic one :rolleyes:
Thanks for your help rebuke :D

PS What's the black wire if it's not neutral then ?

switched live... and it should have a little bit of red sleeving on to identify it as such (but many times this wasn't put on)

PS What's the black wire if it's not neutral then ?
What do you think would happen if you connected live and neutral to a switch?

Think about what a switch must do, and what would happen if it did it to live & neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back