Wiring a Shed for low load work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,
I am after some advice if it possible.

Just a brief story behind my reasoning. Six months ago, I severly injured my back leaving me unable to do my hobby-- Astronomy and my telescope set up is heavy let alone the other accessories that go along with the hobby, two heavy cases with eyepieces etc, so instead of carrying everything out every night I get a clear evening, if I get A 6X4 or 5ft shed, at least then I will only have to carry out the telescope on a clear evening.

Anyway, because I need power in the shed, for the Telescope and dew heater a 240 to 13.8v transformer, power for my laptop, a red light, low wattage and a space just incase I get something in the future that requires power for my hobby.

Because I do not want a constant feed in the shed and a complete nightmare to dig a trench for an armoured cable, I was thinking on the lines of using a heavy duty extension lead from the house with a RCD for protection and when not in use I can coil up the lead and store it in a weatherbox until I need it the next time.

In the shed, I was thinking of installing Consumer Unit with RCD and MCB protection for even more protection, some sort of junction box leading out to two trunking with leads leading to two RCD Protected double sockets.

What I would like some advice on is_

1.Due to a low load, is this set up adequate as I use an extension lead now but with out all the protection?
2. Am I going over board with the RCD?
3. What type of heavy duty cable can I use for the extension part?
4. What type of consumer unit and junction box would suit this job?

I neglected to mention, the light source will be a socket one, probably a desktop lamp running a energy saving bulb.

I realise that this might be a weird request, but I need to get a picture straight in my head before I proceed getting someone in if I need to.

Many thanks and I look forward to hear from you.

Dyfed

Transformer load ..... 220-240v
Laptop Transformer..... 100-240v
Light ???

Sponsored Links
Voltage doesn't matter. As long as it will run on 230v. WATTAGE matters, this is what determines how much 'lectric everything uses. Though yes, the stuff you mention is low consumption.

I suggest you just continue with the extension lead and use a 4-way socket or 2 on the end of it. As long as theres a 13 amp fuse at the source and the flex is 1.25 or 1.5mm² there's no problem. It should also be RCD protected, either at the fuse box/consumer unit or at the sourse socket.

Many thanks Crafty,

Had thought of that, carry on using an extension lead but I was thinking ahead to be honest.

If I wire up the shed as if it were going on a normal circuit from the house but run a Cable/ Extension lead from the shed to the house as and when needed, then in time, I have then the scope, probably in years to come to wire a permanant feed to the shed from the House consumtion box.

Not that I am ungreatful Crafty, but the original questions stand, what can I do as a Phase one wiring IN the shed and what would I require along with the Cable/ extension lead, then phase two, later on, get a permanant feed to shed, for the moment though, phase one is main goal.

Many thanks once again Crafty

Dyf[/quote]

the real problem is there is nothing so permanent as a temporay job. either do the whole lot properly or stay as you are

Sponsored Links
Fair comment breezer but as I said earlier, putting down an armoured cable is a nightmare because I have no clear way to dig a trench at the moment.

Guess I will have to stay as I am for the moment and think about it again.

Many thanks

Hi Lazygit,

Thank you for the link. Very informative and has deffinatly helped to get a bigger picture of what I will need to do to complete running a feed to the shed, when I get one.

Been looking at them last night, such a dramatic increase in prices since I got one two years ago to store garden items. Must be something to do with this wood prices for fencing and sheds due to a shortage this year.

My old one is an overlap wood type shed and after seeing shiplap style shed and considering that electric is going to go to this shed, I have opted to go with a shiplap T&G style.

Looks a lot more solid than the other one I have and looks much better sealed being made of a T&G style wood because I also want to insulate the inside of the shed.

To insulate it, I read last night that I will need to use a polysterin based insulation due to the low absorbtion rate of this material with water. Another tip I read was to install a vapour membrane directly against the shed wall before installing the board insulation. All useful information with electric's in mind as well.

Anyway, thank you once again lazygit for the info, already saved in a newly created folder.

Dyf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back