Wiring a shower to a generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting on a camping event this coming weekend in a fairly remote field , and I managed to get a hold of a free standing shower unit that was going to be thrown in a skip as a part of a renovation... It's a three sided steel affair with a 7.5k shower in it, and i'll be siting it in the corner of a small marquee...

I have mains water, and have managed to borrow a 14kvh generator, which i'm told is a bit of a beast...

What i'm actually wanting to know, and as I know very little about any of this, is will it be possible to easy wire the shower upto the genny? I'll be getting a sparky to have a look at it, but will it be a ball ache of a job for him?

Cheers...

Mike :)

Sponsored Links
It will all depend on the condition of the shower, the condition of the generator and the siting of the generator. Only when an electrician see these things will they be able to judge how much their balls will ache, and yours.

3 sided shower in a marquee? sounds like a fun festival.. where is it? :)

i'd say lots of earth spikes, rcd distribution box, etc etc....

it might be an idea to use a shed as a shower room rather than a tent if you have vehicular access.. nothing worse than standing on mud after a shower :)

what's your plan for the soapy water from it?

big tank or just a big soak away pit?

Is the gen single phase?

If not, it is not big enough. It would not be happy having a large load on a single phase either.

Sponsored Links
It's a gathering of people from another forum in the Lakes :)

The shower is in good condition, and the generator will be a fairly newish top spec one as its coming from a good local plant hire company.

I'm be digging a soak away for the grey water, so that's sorted, and i'm going to build a raised deck on pallets around it, then lay ply on top of that, so there will be no mess that way...

I'm not sure about the phasing, I was inder the impression it would be multi-phase? This maybe showing my lack of knowledge!

I'm worried about what would be big enough?!?!?!

I'm told it weighs about a ton and a half!

Thanks for you replies, it's very much appreciated!

presuming you mean 14kVA and not 14kVh then that's roughly equivalent to 14KW..
so why would that be too small for a 7.5KW shower?
presumably there will be lighting run from it also?

I think it could be KVA, it's coming on a flat bed truck and has to be taken off with the hiab....

there will be lighting, but I would imagine the shower will be mainly used in the morning anyway...

If it's a 3 phase genny, it won't power a 7.5kW load on one phase, will it?

ah right, didn't get what he meant..
no it won't if it's 3 phase as a 14KVA 3 phase would be 4.7KVA per phase.

You really need to get information from the manufacturer on what the largest allowable load on a single phase is for thier generators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back