Wiring a stereo player into a megaphone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I recently purchased this item off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152003289577?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I wish to wire it up to the jack plug out of a stereo player like my laptop
As you can see from the link there are 3 wires; red, black, yellow. (not the red and black 12v power wires)
I have taken the casing apart at the speaker and the 3 wires go into a circuit board, and I am unable to work out which wire dose what
Any help please in telling me which wire dose what?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Is it actually a loudhailer with an audio input or just a 5 sound siren ? Very much doubt it can do 300dB !

It's a siren. I'm a qualified electronics engineer but even I couldn't convert it without a circuit diagram. Forget it and buy a proper amplifier and speaker system.

It's a siren. I'm a qualified electronics engineer but even I couldn't convert it without a circuit diagram. Forget it and buy a proper amplifier and speaker system.
This any good?
WIN_20160421_073029.JPG

WIN_20160421_073144.JPG

WIN_20160421_073238.JPG

WIN_20160421_073254.JPG

Sponsored Links
It looks like yellow is the feed from the volume control. Do you hear a click or buzz when you touch it with your finger (volume turned up)?

Sam
It is hard to tell, but I would say it dose crackle when I wiggle the yellow wire; So yes it dose.

So if we now know that the next question is which is live and earth?
Or should we just presume red is live and black is earth?

Thanks
AHC

I would guess the red is the +12V to the controller. Yellow will be the audio (siren) signal, and black is ground. If this is correct then you won't need the red anymore. Connect the yellow and black to your audio source.

I bough a set of cheap head phones today and cut the end off of one of them
I have wired the speaker plug up to my mega phone as described above (red positive, black earth)
And plugged the jack plug into my laptop and played some music and switched the mega phone on.
There is very very little sound coming from the mega phone, you have to put your ear next to it to hear anything (and yes my sound card on my laptop plays fine)
So it obviously works but the question is why is it so quiet?

And finally I have to ask what happens if you reverse polarization on an audio system?

I have wired the speaker plug up to my mega phone as described above (red positive, black earth)...
So it obviously works but the question is why is it so quiet?
It needs a microphone not a speaker and the microphone needs to have the correct impedance and output level. Try an electret microphone. In addition, the yellow wire needs to be disconnected from the existing circuit.

And finally I have to ask what happens if you reverse polarization on an audio system?
The red & black? Smoke.

I have just disconnected the yellow volume wire and nothing has happened.
I have just connected the yellow wire into the earth or black terminal as instructed to do so by Gerry and all I got was a load of noise from the speaker and smoke from the microphone

As we are all trying to explain, yellow is your audio input. Black is zero volt or ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back