Wiring a Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've recently bought my first house with my fiancee! Exciting times, but it turns out that the thermostat connected to the (very old) boiler is very broken.

I want to replace it with a Honeywell CM907 (or similar - suggestions welcome!). However, I've pulled off the front of the current thermostat and found this:

IMAG0174_zpsecdd6692.jpg

That seems like a lot of live wires!

The only help I have is this:

IMAG0175_zps0fdaa306.jpg

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean a lot to me.

The wires themselves seem to be coming in from a cable that runs along the wall:

IMAG0176_zps546f8a76.jpg

The boiler in question is a Baxi Solo 2. There is a separate hot water tank upstairs, if that makes any difference.

My question is - how on earth do I get a modern thermostat attached to that wiring? I am a bit lost.

Thanks,

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 1 to New A
Old 4 to New B

Old 2 Should be sleeved blue to indicate it is neutral.
Not required on New so terminate in separate connector block and position safely.

Old 1 to New A
Old 4 to New B

Old 2 Should be sleeved blue to indicate it is neutral.
Not required on New so terminate in separate connector block and position safely.

Hi,

The terminals on the old thermostat are labelled 2,1,4,3 in descending order. I am guessing you are counting the top, term 2 as "Old 1" and the bottom, Term 4, as "Old 4" - is that right?

What I would give for properly coloured wires..

Top one on the old stat is neutral as per the sticker. Should be Old 1 (second top) to New A and Old 3 (bottom) to new B.

Sponsored Links
The terminals on the old thermostat are labelled 2,1,4,3 in descending order
If correct then old thermostat wired wrongly.

Did it work backwards?
I.e heat on when turned down and vice versa.

It was hard to tell. The guy that lived here before was excitable but ineffective when it came to DIY. It certainly didn't seem to work as it should.

Is there an easy way to work out what's what?

You could try moving the wire from terminal 3 to 4 and see if it works.

If it does then the other two must be correct.
If not ... have you a multimeter?

I'd suggest ...
Mark each wire before you disconnect it from a terminal. A good permanent marker should do - just put some "dots" on the wires, probably match the numbers on the terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back