Wiring a timer extractor fan from a plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I have an Xpelair DX100T which I intend to run from a lamp unit which operates via a plug. The plug leading to lamp unit is wired with 2 core cable. I intend to run L & N from the lamp unit to the extractor fan but I will also need to wire in the timer.

Firstly is what I'm planning possible? And secondly would running a piece of live cable from the Live terminal of the fan to the timer terminal enable it to work properly??

All help and suggestions gratefully received (except "Get an electrician to do it!" as I intend to if I don't feel confident enough after posting here!!))

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
You will need three core and earth cable to start with to use the timer facility, as you need a switched live and a permanent live. As you have said "get a sparks in"

The way a timer fan works is that it needs two live feeds. One feed is effectively the signal to tell it to come on. When the signal live is turned off, the fan will continue to run from the second permanant live via the timer until the timer runs out and turns off the fan. I think what you are suggesting means the fan will run just as an ordinary on/off fan. If you want the timer function to work, you need a permanant live to the fan, even when the lamp is off.

On the electrical side there are the usual safety things - where is all this (batroom ?), does the fan need an earth, where is the switch etc.

Sponsored Links
Looks like I'll be thumbing through the yellow pages tomorrow!!! Thanks folks - don't want to kill myself! I installed two non-timer variety fans last month but the switched live / permanent live thing is beyond me I think!

Cheers
G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back