Wiring an Immersion Heater direct to mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. 5 years ago my Plumber friend fitted a shower pump for me, but disconnected the Immersion Heater to use the socket to provide power for the pump (as we don't use the immersion). My boiler is currently on the blink, and he can't come out for a couple of days.

Is it possible to fit a standard plug onto the end of the Immersion Heater wires, plug it in to an extension cable, and in turn plug it into a normal wall socket? Obviously this is just temporary to heat the tank until the boiler is fixed.

If so, what amp fuse should the plug have?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would work for a couple of days yes, with a 13A fuse.

You will need a high quality extension lead though (and unwound). It will most likely melt cheap extensions.
Only run for 1 hour max.

If you don't have such an extension, maybe it would be cheaper to buy a 20A switch and surface box and connect it into where it used to be.
You could have the pump and imm connected at the same time

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-20a-1-gang-dp-control-switch-white-with-neon/13014

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-surface-pattress-box-white-30mm/11340

It would work for a couple of days yes, with a 13A fuse.

You will need a high quality extension lead though (and unwound). It will most likely melt cheap extensions.
Only run for 1 hour max.

If you don't have such an extension, maybe it would be cheaper to buy a 20A switch and surface box and connect it into where it used to be.
You could have the pump and imm connected at the same time

Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help.

Indeed, there was no reason to unconnected the immersion circuit. That’s why plumbers should stick to that wet stuff.

Sponsored Links
Plumber a worker of lead, was roofs and pipes, but today they must be rare? I really don't know the name for some one who works with copper, redsmith I think? Or Cupricer? or simple Coppersmith?

However as said good quality lead as it will do the job, but likely to get warm so make sure not covered. As to if the old cable jointer was a Plumber before we had epoxy resin I don't know. Why Plumber and not Leadsmith?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back