Wiring bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to wire up an extractor fan with timer to my bathroom light. I have a 3 pole isolator switch plus three core and earth cable. I have attached photos to show the wiring at the bathroom ceiling light and also at the light pull cord. Could you advise how to wire up the fan based on the wiring as shown in the photos?
IMG_5504.JPG
IMG_5499.JPG
IMG_5499.JPG
IMG_5504.JPG
IMG_5499.JPG

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You probably have a junction box in the loft, will be much easier to find that and come off that.

L,N,E+SL from the JB to your isolator and then L,N,E+SL from your isolator to the fan.

You can do it from just the light and the pull cord, just won't be very tidy

Thanks Iggifer, I have no access to the space above as there is another flat above. What's the untidy solution?

You need to connect some wires at the light fitting and some at the switch:

neutral from blue/black at the light
permanent live from one of the wires at the switch (probably red)
switched live from the red/brown at the light OR the (probably) black at the switch

You also need an earth; there seems to be a cut-back earth at the switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this.

Can you explain further? From the isolator switch can you explain where the 3C &E should be connected? What new connections do I need to make at both the light and the switch?

Run cables from the isolator to both the switch and the light fitting.
It doesn't need to be 3C+E since you only need one or two connections, plus earth, in each case.
I described what connections to make in the previous post.

(Are you sure you can't locate a junction box somewhere?)

How will you run cables to the isolator switch, and to the fan, if you do not have access to the space above?

And where are you going to duct the fan to? Through an exterior wall? Have fun drilling that hole (y) pretty tedious work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back