Wiring for an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed security lights on the the outside of my property and i am attempting to wire them up to an existing light switch in my kitchen. I want to operate security lights and kitchen light independently with a double switch, the existing switch is a single switch, i have 2 of these in the kitchen which operate the kitchen light. How do i go about wiring up the new double switch in place of the old single switch. Diagrams would be helpful if poss.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely you will be able to do this.

Unless there are two Blue ( or Black in old colours ) wires connected together in the back-box of the switch.
These would be the Neutral of the circuit. If these Blue wires are not present you will have to run a cable to a ceiling rose.

Another way would be to take the power from a socket via a Fused Connector Unit.

I have uploaded a pic of the current wiring, not sure if it shows up on the post or not, new to here.

Sponsored Links
Not possible from there.

See link in BAS' post.

You will have to run cable from ceiling (or socket) to new light then to switch or
ceiling (or socket) to switch then to new light.

Unless there are two Blue ( or Black in old colours ) wires connected together in the back-box of the switch.
These would be the Neutral of the circuit.
Not necessarily - I believe that it's not unknown for people to believe that they must not use black/blue as a switched live, and drop 2 T&E cables to the switch so that they use only red/brown....

These would be the Neutral of the circuit.
Not necessarily - I believe that it's not unknown for people to believe that they must not use black/blue as a switched live
O.K. :?: It's not unknown for people to believe in your Jewish zombie.
and drop 2 T&E cables to the switch so that they use only red/brown....
Perhaps I should have added a caveat that a nutter may have done something really silly.
However, if they had done this the OP could have used the Black/Blue as a Neutral.

After a bit of head scratching, what i have decided to is this:
I have wired up the security lights to a single switch coming from a socket supply, switched power back on and the security lights come on, however, the switch does not switch them off or on! L1 has 2 brown wires in it, L2 has 2 blue wires in it ( L1 has brown wire from supply, then brown wire to lights, L2 has blue wire from supply, then blue wire to lights), it also earthed to the metal box. Any suggestions as to why the lights wont switch on or off using the switch??????????

You have wired it incorrectly.

However, you will have to change the switch and use a Switched Fused Connector unit.

Also, were there already two wires to each terminal in the socket?If there were it is probably alright but you should be certain that this is a Ring Final Circuit.

Before getting on to the wiring - is your security light a PIR one or simply on and off with switch.

Edited - wasn't thinking properly

Instead of hard wiring it into the back of the socket because of access, i have put a plug on it with a 13A fuse. The lights are just switch on and off with switch.

Ok - change the fuse for a 3A one.

Then at the switch

Connect the two blues together in a separate connector and tuck out of the way.
Brown from plug to L1 and
Brown from light to L2

Earths to back-box if plastic switch or
Earths to switch if metal.

After reading your first wiring arrangements again it would have gone BANG when you switched it on unless you are using a two-way switch.
I.e. one with C (comm.) L1 & L2 terminals.

If this is the case then wire
Brown from plug to C and
Brown to light to L1.

The switch i have is a 2 way switch. Do i still connect the blue wires in a separate connector and keep out the way? I am taking a pic of how i have connected it up just now and i will post in my album, its always better to see it than to try and describe it.

Yes, still connect the blues together.
All the switch is doing is making or breaking the supply (Brown wire) to the light.

HURRAH...after nearly 6 hours of head scratching,posts on here and countless phone calls, oh and 2 fuses and several trips to the main box, we now have operational outside lights......think ill take my missus option of phoning an electrician the next time lol. Thanks very much for your help and advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back